[DISCUSS] Microprofile repo

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi guys,

I'd like to formalize a bit more the "microprofile repo" discussion so I'm opening a new thread.

The goal is the following one: get a repository where to put transversal code and provide a kind of "bom" or "starter" pom for users willing to get geronimo-microprofile-* at once.

Originally it would just be one pom but I see it can evolve to manage N poms (one per MP version) and potentially some ASF servers enriched with the libs (to discuss later probably but it is to share what this repo can host).

Wdyt?

Re: [DISCUSS] Microprofile repo

Mark Struberg
Or we have this as part of our site?
Or an examples project?
Or having both in one?

Le lun. 9 juil. 2018 à 08:55, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Or we have this as part of our site?

Works for the site, not for the bom

Or an examples project?

This is not an example but a delivery IMHO

Or having both in one?

Yep, i'd put a new repo with both the site and the bom delivery since it would be about releases mainly, not "real" code.

> Am 09.07.2018 um 08:35 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> Oops, forgot to mention it wpuld also host the site generation (aggregating all repo contents with antora)
>
> Le dim. 8 juil. 2018 21:14, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> Hi guys,
>
> I'd like to formalize a bit more the "microprofile repo" discussion so I'm opening a new thread.
>
> The goal is the following one: get a repository where to put transversal code and provide a kind of "bom" or "starter" pom for users willing to get geronimo-microprofile-* at once.
>
> Originally it would just be one pom but I see it can evolve to manage N poms (one per MP version) and potentially some ASF servers enriched with the libs (to discuss later probably but it is to share what this repo can host).
>
> Wdyt?
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

Re: [DISCUSS] Microprofile repo

jlmonteiro
A BOM could be definitely useful so we can have a consistent set of impls for a microprofile version.
Separate repo seems relevant as well

+1

Le lun. 9 juil. 2018 à 09:32, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Le lun. 9 juil. 2018 à 08:55, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Or we have this as part of our site?

Works for the site, not for the bom

Or an examples project?

This is not an example but a delivery IMHO

Or having both in one?

Yep, i'd put a new repo with both the site and the bom delivery since it would be about releases mainly, not "real" code.

> Am 09.07.2018 um 08:35 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> Oops, forgot to mention it wpuld also host the site generation (aggregating all repo contents with antora)
>
> Le dim. 8 juil. 2018 21:14, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> Hi guys,
>
> I'd like to formalize a bit more the "microprofile repo" discussion so I'm opening a new thread.
>
> The goal is the following one: get a repository where to put transversal code and provide a kind of "bom" or "starter" pom for users willing to get geronimo-microprofile-* at once.
>
> Originally it would just be one pom but I see it can evolve to manage N poms (one per MP version) and potentially some ASF servers enriched with the libs (to discuss later probably but it is to share what this repo can host).
>
> Wdyt?
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

Re: [DISCUSS] Microprofile repo

Raymond Auge
+1 on the BOM

Is the idea to have 1:N deployment targets? What do Geronimo MP impls currently target for deployment?

I guess I'm saying that I'd like the opportunity to provide one such deployment target if it comes to that.

- Ray

--
Raymond Augé (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect Liferay, Inc. (@Liferay)
Board Member & EEG Co-Chair, OSGi Alliance (@OSGiAlliance)

Re: [DISCUSS] Microprofile repo

jlmonteiro
Most of the implementations are based on CDI. Not sure if we need CDI 2, but that would definitely be something to add on the README.adoc for the project

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <[hidden email]> wrote:
Most of the implementations are based on CDI. Not sure if we need CDI 2, but that would definitely be something to add on the README.adoc for the project

Ok, so you are saying the target of the Geronimo MP BOM should be the base Eclipse MP profile and not any concrete target? Note that I'm not disagreeing. I'm just trying to get a clear picture.

- Ray

Le lun. 9 juil. 2018 à 15:39, Raymond Auge <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1 on the BOM

Is the idea to have 1:N deployment targets? What do Geronimo MP impls currently target for deployment?

I guess I'm saying that I'd like the opportunity to provide one such deployment target if it comes to that.

- Ray

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 5:07 AM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <[hidden email]> wrote:
A BOM could be definitely useful so we can have a consistent set of impls for a microprofile version.
Separate repo seems relevant as well

+1

Le lun. 9 juil. 2018 à 09:32, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Le lun. 9 juil. 2018 à 08:55, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Or we have this as part of our site?

Works for the site, not for the bom

Or an examples project?

This is not an example but a delivery IMHO

Or having both in one?

Yep, i'd put a new repo with both the site and the bom delivery since it would be about releases mainly, not "real" code.

> Am 09.07.2018 um 08:35 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> Oops, forgot to mention it wpuld also host the site generation (aggregating all repo contents with antora)
>
> Le dim. 8 juil. 2018 21:14, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> Hi guys,
>
> I'd like to formalize a bit more the "microprofile repo" discussion so I'm opening a new thread.
>
> The goal is the following one: get a repository where to put transversal code and provide a kind of "bom" or "starter" pom for users willing to get geronimo-microprofile-* at once.
>
> Originally it would just be one pom but I see it can evolve to manage N poms (one per MP version) and potentially some ASF servers enriched with the libs (to discuss later probably but it is to share what this repo can host).
>
> Wdyt?
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

--
Raymond Augé (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect Liferay, Inc. (@Liferay)
Board Member & EEG Co-Chair, OSGi Alliance (@OSGiAlliance)

--
Raymond Augé (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect Liferay, Inc. (@Liferay)
Board Member & EEG Co-Chair, OSGi Alliance (@OSGiAlliance)

Re: [DISCUSS] Microprofile repo

Yes, currently we rely on CDI 2 (as MP 2).

Very short term the goal is to provide a way to have a MP server as simply as adding a dependency in a pom (instead of wondering where to find jwt auth, where to find opentracing, where to find openapi, etc...)
Then probably provide a zip with all the libs bundled (I know tomee can directly grab it on m2 and add it to its libs in 2 line)
Also handle the doc (we have pretty much nothing yet except poor readmes)
And finally maybe built in some prepackage servers (i know tomee or meecrowave would be trivial to do) <- to discuss a bit more and I don't want this hold the new repo creation since it can be added after

That's my vision on that new place for us.

Anyone wants to lead that? I'm happy to help or to do it too but guess it can be a way to enter MP too so letting a chance to others to grab some fun ;)