DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

cshett
I am getting this error when trying to deploy a WAR file. I'm not even sure where to start really, does anyone have any suggestions?  Things I can try or read up on or look into?

2011-03-01 16:51:42,062 DEBUG [Deployer] Deployment failed: plan=null, module=D:\ImportDataService.war
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: POJO web service: ImportData not configured by any web service builder
                at org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.deployment.TomcatModuleBuilder.addGBeans(TomcatModuleBuilder.java:464)
                at org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.SwitchingModuleBuilder.addGBeans(SwitchingModuleBuilder.java:165)
                at org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.EARConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(EARConfigBuilder.java:652)
                at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:257)
                at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:136)

and so on...

Thanks.

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

Ivan Xu
Which server assembly do you use ? Geronimo 2.2, I guess.
Do you use web service in your application ? Also, are there other exception messages in the log file ?
thanks.

2011/3/15 cshett <[hidden email]>
[...]

               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
               at
               at

and so on...

Thanks.

Ivan

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

cshett
Yes, I'm using minimal geronimo 2.2.1.  The WAR I'm trying to deploy contains the ImportData web service.  I don't see any other exceptions besides the one I already posted.

I'm guessing I need to configure a web service builder or something, but I'm not really sure what that means or how to go about doing that.

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

kevan
Administrator

On Mar 16, 2011, at 10:00 AM, cshett wrote:

> Yes, I'm using minimal geronimo 2.2.1.  The WAR I'm trying to deploy contains
> the ImportData web service.  I don't see any other exceptions besides the
> one I already posted.
>
> I'm guessing I need to configure a web service builder or something, but I'm
> not really sure what that means or how to go about doing that.

A minimal server doesn't contain web services support. You'd need a full Java EE server for that. I'd start there. Or you can create a custom assembly...

--kevan

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

mikedanese
I am getting the exception in env:websphere community edition. Thanks Kevan but it would be nice if you would elaborate just a bit regarding 'Or you can create a custom assembly...'. FYI, I am using the ws.community edition as a local env. to replicate issues on client production(websphere) environments. As such it would be great if there was a way to just toggle-off the webservices.

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

Forrest Xia
For CE 2.1 or G 2.1, refer to [1]; For G 2.2.1, refer to [2]

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/custom-server-assemblies-using-geronimo-administrative-console.html
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/assembling-a-server-via-console.html

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM, mikedanese <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am getting the exception in env:websphere community edition. Thanks Kevan
but it would be nice if you would elaborate just a bit regarding 'Or you can
create a custom assembly...'. FYI, I am using the ws.community edition as a
local env. to replicate issues on client production(websphere) environments.
As such it would be great if there was a way to just toggle-off the
webservices.

Thanks!

Regards, Forrest

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

mikedanese
Well maybe i'm a dufus but I'm still stuck on this issue. I have investigate the tips provided here, along with spending many hours digging in to the geronimo deployment package, TomcatModuleBuilder, ect. One thing - the source I am able to find via web search(TomcatModuleBuilder) seems quite dated(2006)... Anyway, still getting an excpetion when deploying from eclipse to wsce6.1 (see below). Funny thing is, deployment fails on the first servlet listed in our war file(there are many, including axis2.4 further down the list) - which is not a webservice or related to any webservice at all. So it seems the deployment context is confused by my configuation. Some things I have tried: edit web.xml to declare various versions of servlet spec, eg: 2.3, 2.4, created a default geronimo-web.xml (type=war) and (lots of time on this) trying to get the log-4j properties file to log the geronimo deployment classes in DEBUG/verbose mode(no progress here) I also searched under WebSphere and eclipse directories(ubumtu11.10), including .directories, for additional logging but no success there(just a short trace (shown below) that comes to eclipse console.
Any tips appreciated

POJO web service: ResourceServlet not configured by any web service builder
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: POJO web service: ResourceServlet not configured by any web service builder
        at org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.deployment.TomcatModuleBuilder.addGBeans(TomcatModuleBuilder.java:643)
        at org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.SwitchingModuleBuilder.addGBeans(SwitchingModuleBuilder.java:174)
        at org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.EARConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(EARConfigBuilder.java:763)
        at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:255)
        at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:140)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:131)
        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:883)
        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:245)
        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.KernelGBean.invoke(KernelGBean.java:344)
        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:131)
        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:883)
        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:245)
        at org.apache.geronimo.system.jmx.MBeanGBeanBridge.invoke(MBeanGBeanBridge.java:172)
        at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:836)
        at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:761)
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1427)
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$200(RMIConnectionImpl.java:72)
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$PrivilegedOperation.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1265)
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doPrivilegedOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1367)
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.invoke(RMIConnectionImpl.java:788)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor35.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:303)
        at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

Ivan Xu
From the log, think there is a servlet named ResourceServlet is configured in the web.xml file, and it did not implement the Servlet interface. It is invalid except that this is a POJO web service.
If that entry is a POJO webservice class, which means it is annotated with WebService related annotation, you may need to double check whether there is a WebService provider is there, for tomcat assembly, it is Axis2, for Jetty assembly, it is CXF.

Ivan

Ivan

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

mikedanese
Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.

From geronimo deployment logging I was able to get more info. I see the java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) may be the root cause. This follows what was reported earlier in this Thread --"Need to add permission for the accessPrivelegedException,
export JAVA_OPTS=-Dorg.apache.cxf.jaxws.checkPublishEndpointPermission=false"

Ideally this would be set as part of the eclipse websphere CE plugin's launch config.
In fact it would seem to be there already in the default lauch config:
Djava.endorsed.dirs="$(GERONIMO_HOME)/lib/endorsed:$(JRE_HOME)/lib/endorsed"
which adds geronimo's endorsed dirs to jre's endorsed. Then those jars should have 'All Permissions' as per default java.policy file, right?

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

mikedanese
More time spent on this, still cant deploy my war:
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged
Seems 'RMIConnection' tries to write the war file to the deploy directory (eg: appserver-base/repository/xx but is denied access by jre.
( windows7 / eclipse indigo / wsce-eclipse plugin / websphere comm. edition V3.0).
Some things I have tried:
1. From eclipse server view(wsceV3.0) edit the 'launch configuration' to add VM arguments, eg:
-Djava.rmi.server.codebase=file:/C:/ibm/wsce/appserverV3.0/bin/
-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=localhost
-Djava.security.policy=server.policy
-DXorg.apache.geronimo.deployment.LenientMFCP=true

2. edit jre java.policy file (jre/lib/security/java.policy) eg:
grant codeBase "file:///C:/ibm/wsce/appserverV3.0/*" {
permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

Please advise the correct way to grant access to write the war file to wsce deploy directories.

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

Ivan Xu
The description for option  org.apache.cxf.jaxws.checkPublishEndpointPermission  could be found in  https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/web-services-issues.html. I doubt that it is related to your issue.
If the problem is that RMIConnector could not write it to the deploy directory, I guess that whether the problem is that JRE does not have permission to do that, as I saw that you are working on windows 7, the user control system in win 7 sometimes cause some strange behaviors.

2012/1/17 mikedanese <[hidden email]>
[...]

Ivan

Re: DeploymentException: POJO web service not configured by any web service builder

dkateros
This thread seems to be the only useful google result for this error message, so I will resurrect it.

I got the same error on geronimo 3.0.1 deployment (while geronimo 2.2 does not produce the problem)

POJO web service: SimpleInstallmentsCalculatorService not configured by any web service builder
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: POJO web service: SimpleInstallmentsCalculatorService not configured by any web service builder
        at org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.deployment.TomcatModuleBuilder.addGBeans(TomcatModuleBuilder.java:636)
        at org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.SwitchingModuleBuilder.addGBeans(SwitchingModuleBuilder.java:174)
        at org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.EARConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(EARConfigBuilder.java:764)
        at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:281)
        at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:145)
        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:131)
        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:877)
        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:245)
        at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.AbstractDeployCommand.doDeploy(AbstractDeployCommand.java:116)
        at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.DistributeCommand.run(DistributeCommand.java:61)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

The problem was a transitive maven dependency of jaxws-api was not declared with provided scope and these jars ended up in the war.

[INFO] \- javax.xml.ws:jaxws-api:jar:2.2.6:provided
[INFO]    +- javax.xml.bind:jaxb-api:jar:2.2.4:provided
[INFO]    |  +- javax.xml.stream:stax-api:jar:1.0-2:provided
[INFO]    |  \- javax.activation:activation:jar:1.1:provided
[INFO]    +- javax.xml.soap:saaj-api:jar:1.3.4:provided
[INFO]    +- org.glassfish:javax.annotation:jar:3.1.1:provided
[INFO]    \- javax.jws:jsr181-api:jar:1.0-MR1:provided

I am not sure if this demonstrates an underlying geronimo 3.0.1 problem, as no hidden classes were declared on geronimo-web.xml. Anyway, hope this helps.