Geronimo izpack installer configuration files

Geronimo izpack installer configuration files

sissonj

Were the  izpack installer configuration files files referred to at the bottom of the following page contributed to the Geronimo project?

 http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Building_an_Installer

Thanks,

John

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential, proprietary or non-public information.  This information is intended solely for the designated recipient(s).  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.  Any review, dissemination, use or reliance upon this information by unintended recipients is prohibited.  Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author personally.

Re: Geronimo izpack installer configuration files

ammulder
        I did the original izpack routine.  However, it needs a bit of an
update.  I originally needed a small change to izpack so that certain
post-install processing tasks (or maybe config screens, I've kind of
forgotten) would only run if the corresponding options were checked during
the selection phase.  Now izpack has moved on, so we'll probably need to
either adjust our config files or change the patches.  I can poke around a
little to refresh my memory if that would help.

        There's another issue, which is that the process as described on
the Wiki just says "substitute values in plans".  What this means is,
where the plan has a hardcoded username, port, etc. you should put in an
izpack variable so the user can configure that during installation.  We
talked about variable-izing the plans to begin with, so the default
assembly target can substitute the appropriate defaults, and izpack can
substitute its stuff, and then there's only one set of plans to maintain.
This should really be done -- it's not very maintainable otherwise.

        In any case, I'll put the attachments on the Wiki page.

Aaron

P.S. Looks like JBoss is going to be using izpack too, FWIW

On Wed, 11 May 2005 [hidden email] wrote:

> Were the  izpack installer configuration files files referred to at the
> bottom of the following page contributed to the Geronimo project?
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Building_an_Installer
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential,
> proprietary or non-public information.  This information is intended
> solely for the designated recipient(s).  If an addressing or transmission
> error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately
> and destroy this e-mail.  Any review, dissemination, use or reliance upon
> this information by unintended recipients is prohibited.  Any opinions
> expressed in this e-mail are those of the author personally.

Re: Geronimo izpack installer configuration files

ammulder
        OK, well, for reasons I can't explain the Wiki still says "upload
new attachment XYZ" but if you click one of those links or just use the
attachments action you'll see that the attachments are there.

Aaron

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> I did the original izpack routine.  However, it needs a bit of an
> update.  I originally needed a small change to izpack so that certain
> post-install processing tasks (or maybe config screens, I've kind of
> forgotten) would only run if the corresponding options were checked during
> the selection phase.  Now izpack has moved on, so we'll probably need to
> either adjust our config files or change the patches.  I can poke around a
> little to refresh my memory if that would help.
>
> There's another issue, which is that the process as described on
> the Wiki just says "substitute values in plans".  What this means is,
> where the plan has a hardcoded username, port, etc. you should put in an
> izpack variable so the user can configure that during installation.  We
> talked about variable-izing the plans to begin with, so the default
> assembly target can substitute the appropriate defaults, and izpack can
> substitute its stuff, and then there's only one set of plans to maintain.
> This should really be done -- it's not very maintainable otherwise.
>
> In any case, I'll put the attachments on the Wiki page.
>
> Aaron
>
> P.S. Looks like JBoss is going to be using izpack too, FWIW
>
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 [hidden email] wrote:
> > Were the  izpack installer configuration files files referred to at the
> > bottom of the following page contributed to the Geronimo project?
> >
> >  http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Building_an_Installer
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >
> > This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential,
> > proprietary or non-public information.  This information is intended
> > solely for the designated recipient(s).  If an addressing or transmission
> > error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately
> > and destroy this e-mail.  Any review, dissemination, use or reliance upon
> > this information by unintended recipients is prohibited.  Any opinions
> > expressed in this e-mail are those of the author personally.

Re: Geronimo izpack installer configuration files

sissonj

Thanks for the quick response Aaron.

Aaron Mulder <[hidden email]> wrote on 11/05/2005 11:44:43 AM:

>    I did the original izpack routine.  However, it needs a bit of an
> update.  I originally needed a small change to izpack so that certain
> post-install processing tasks (or maybe config screens, I've kind of
> forgotten) would only run if the corresponding options were checked during
> the selection phase.  Now izpack has moved on, so we'll probably need to
> either adjust our config files or change the patches.  I can poke around a
> little to refresh my memory if that would help.
>
>    There's another issue, which is that the process as described on
> the Wiki just says "substitute values in plans".  What this means is,
> where the plan has a hardcoded username, port, etc. you should put in an
> izpack variable so the user can configure that during installation.  We
> talked about variable-izing the plans to begin with, so the default
> assembly target can substitute the appropriate defaults, and izpack can
> substitute its stuff, and then there's only one set of plans to maintain.
> This should really be done -- it's not very maintainable otherwise.

+1.  It would be nice if we could speed up the installation process, it is very tedious changing port numbers manually, enabling Tomcat etc.  I'll have to read up on Izpack.

>    In any case, I'll put the attachments on the Wiki page.
>
> Aaron
>
> P.S. Looks like JBoss is going to be using izpack too, FWIW

I read that Izpack 3.8 (not yet released) will be ASF 2.0 licensed and a maven plug-in is being developed for it.  Maybe I should wait till it is released.

On Thu, 12 May 2005 [hidden email] wrote:
> +1.  It would be nice if we could speed up the installation process, it is
> very tedious changing port numbers manually, enabling Tomcat etc.  I'll
> have to read up on Izpack.

        OK, you got me going -- I'm working on make the assembly target
generate the proper config files and Geronimo layout to build the
installer.

> I read that Izpack 3.8 (not yet released) will be ASF 2.0 licensed and a
> maven plug-in is being developed for it.  Maybe I should wait till it is
> released.

        I don't really fancy waiting all the way.  We can use the Ant
integration from Maven, I hope, and switch later.  Unless you know of a
preliminary Maven plugin we could try?  We do need to use a CVS build to
get the integrated patch that lets us associate processes with packs (that
is, only install a plan if the user selected the category that contains
the plan).

        I think we can have this working pretty easily if we get a build
of the IzPack compiler (meaning installer assembler) on one of the
informal Maven repos (Codehaus or something).  Anyone know more about
that?

Aaron