Grails application in Geronimo 3

Radim Kolar
I have problem running grails application in G3. I am trying it to
deploy into virtual hosts using configuration from geronimo 2.

It fails with:

show/hide    Error    The application was not successfully started.
start of hebeidomains/whois-web/1.0.1/war failed
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.LifecycleException: start of
hebeidomains/whois-web/1.0.1/war failed
at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:718)
at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:681)
at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.StartCommand.run(StartCommand.java:67)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.NoSuchConfigException:
trying to start ancestor config for config
hebeidomains/whois-web/1.0.1/war, but not found (configId:
hebeidomains/whois-web/1.0.1/war) (configId:
hebeidomains/whois-web/1.0.1/war)
at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:699)
... 3 more

I have no idea what should be ancestor for config. Virtual host is
defined here:

<module name="org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat7/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car">
<gbean gbeanInfo="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.HostGBean"
name="org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat7/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat7/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=Host,name=bean">
<attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost</attribute>
<attribute name="initParams">name=whois.hebeidomains.com
         appBase=
         workDir=work</attribute>
</gbean>
</module>

and geronimo-web,xml is simple:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0.1"

  xsi:schemaLocation="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0.1

http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0.1">
<environment xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2"
     xsi:schemaLocation="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2
                         http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2">
<moduleId>
<groupId>hebeidomains</groupId>
<artifactId>whois-web</artifactId>
<version>1.0.1</version>
<type>war</type>
</moduleId>
</environment>
<context-root>/whois</context-root>
<host>whois.hebeidomains.com</host>
</web-app>

Re: Grails application in Geronimo 3

jeffche
IIRC, virtual host is not supported in G3.0 yet.

I might be wrong...

Jeff

2011/11/2 Radim Kolar <[hidden email]>
I have problem running grails application in G3. I am trying it to deploy into virtual hosts using configuration from geronimo 2.

It fails with:

show/hide    Error    The application was not successfully started.
start of hebeidomains/whois-web/1.0.1/war failed
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.LifecycleException: start of hebeidomains/whois-web/1.0.1/war failed
at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:718)
at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:681)
at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.StartCommand.run(StartCommand.java:67)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.NoSuchConfigException: trying to start ancestor config for config hebeidomains/whois-web/1.0.1/war, but not found (configId: hebeidomains/whois-web/1.0.1/war) (configId: hebeidomains/whois-web/1.0.1/war)
[...]

</web-app>

Re: Grails application in Geronimo 3

Ivan Xu
Hmm, virtual server is supported in Geronimo 3.0.
Before I checking the exception, it will be better if you could directly configure the virtual host in the server.xml file in the /var/catalina directory.
From Geronimo 2.2, we are trying to make the configurations easier, for the Tomcat assembly, almost the same syntax of server.xml is used to configure the Tomcat container. The most difference with Tomcat is that it is not allowed to configure web application context in that file.

BTW, due to the timeline of the incoming 3.0-beta-1 release, I did not have chance to merge the root context changes to that build. not sure it will affect your decision.
Thanks.

Ivan

Re: Grails application in Geronimo 3

Radim Kolar
 > Hmm, virtual server is supported in Geronimo 3.0.
If i remove deployement to virtual server, then applications deploys and
starts. but not runs probably due to spring version conflict issue.

java.lang.NullPointerException

        at org.codehaus.groovy.grails.web.mapping.filter.UrlMappingsFilter.doFilterInternal(UrlMappingsFilter.java:150)

        at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)

        at org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)

> Before I checking the exception, it will be better if you could
> directly configure the virtual host in the server.xml file in the
> /var/catalina directory.
Actually, configuring virtual hosts should be done easily in GUI console
like in other application servers. configuration in config.xml is kinda
cryptic.

 > BTW, due to the timeline of the incoming 3.0-beta-1 release, I did
not have chance to merge the root context changes to that build. not
sure it will affect your decision.

I currently could not get anything grails made to run in 3.0 due to not
yet discovered  classloading setup. I hoped that moving to OSGi will
remove these kind of problems but it is worse because inverse
classloading/non overitable classes combo is not supported in 3.0.

Re: Grails application in Geronimo 3

jeffche
Inline

Jeff C

You may use <import-packages/> in your deployment plan for 3.0.

Re: Grails application in Geronimo 3

Ivan Xu
First, I have to say, OSGi is not silver bullet. From the classloading aspect, the most improvement is fine-grained classloading delegation, IMO.
For the inverse classloading, it does not make much sense in OSGi environment, as there is no parent classloader conception in OSGi classloader arch.
In the coming Geronimo 3.0-beta-1, to make those common applications work in OSGi environment, the deployer will generate a full-list import packages, which totally mimic the old Java EE's way. As mentioned by Jeff, you could use import-package to forbid loading configured classes from other bundles.
e.g. <import-package>!org.apache.axis2*</import-package>, with this configuration, the deployer will not generate the import-package for those packages start with org.apache.axis2.

Ivan

Re: Grails application in Geronimo 3

Koen van Dijk
Hi all,

Is there any update on this issue? I ran into it myslef and have not been able to resolve it yet.

Thanks