IBM buys Gluecode

Craig Johannsen
Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?  Will
IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the vision of
the Geronimo project?

IBM buys Gluecode (ZD Net):
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5701415.html

IBM purchase promotes open source (CIO News):
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid19_gci1087160,00.html

Re: IBM buys Gluecode

ammulder
        But the question is, in the photo below, which one is Dain?  :)

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info/websphere/may2005announce/

Aaron

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Craig Johannsen wrote:

> Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?  Will
> IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the vision of
> the Geronimo project?
>
> IBM buys Gluecode (ZD Net):
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5701415.html
>
> IBM purchase promotes open source (CIO News):
> http://searchcio.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid19_gci1087160,00.html

Re: IBM buys Gluecode

Matt Hogstrom
The answer is here:

  But the question is, in the photo below, which one is Dain?  :)

Aaron

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Craig Johannsen wrote:
> Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?  Will
> IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the vision of
> the Geronimo project?
>
> IBM buys Gluecode (ZD Net):
>
> IBM purchase promotes open source (CIO News):

BackGrnd.jpg (1K) Download Attachment
WhereIsDain.JPG (23K) Download Attachment

Re: IBM buys Gluecode

Jeff Genender
All I know is I know who is buying a night of beers at JavaOne now ;-)

> Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?  Will
> IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the vision of
> the Geronimo project?
>
> IBM buys Gluecode (ZD Net):
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5701415.html
>
> IBM purchase promotes open source (CIO News):
> http://searchcio.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid19_gci1087160,00.html

Re: IBM buys Gluecode

Craig Johannsen
Yes -- I see that, based on the photo, Geronimo will be just out of site or not all that visible to customers.  :-)

But, what if Geronimo/Joe performs better, scales better, and remains easier to use than Websphere?  Maybe it has a future beyond SMBs (small to medium businesses).

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
The answer is here:

  But the question is, in the photo below, which one is Dain?  :)

Aaron

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Craig Johannsen wrote:
> Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?  Will
> IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the vision of
> the Geronimo project?
>
> IBM buys Gluecode (ZD Net):
>
> IBM purchase promotes open source (CIO News):

Re: IBM buys Gluecode

Matt Hogstrom
Uh uh uh...that was a photo of Dain, not Geronimo :-P

Your reasoning is sounds...let's roll up our sleeves and see what we can do.

Yes -- I see that, based on the photo, Geronimo will be just out of site or not all that visible to customers.  :-)

But, what if Geronimo/Joe performs better, scales better, and remains easier to use than Websphere?  Maybe it has a future beyond SMBs (small to medium businesses).

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
The answer is here:

  But the question is, in the photo below, which one is Dain?  :)

Aaron

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Craig Johannsen wrote:
> Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?  Will
> IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the vision of
> the Geronimo project?
>
> IBM buys Gluecode (ZD Net):
>
> IBM purchase promotes open source (CIO News):

BackGrnd.jpg (1K) Download Attachment

Re: IBM buys Gluecode

Sanjiva Weerawarana
On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:36 -0700, Craig Johannsen wrote:
> Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?  Will
> IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the vision of
> the Geronimo project?

The key for Geronimo's success as an Apache project lies with the
Geronimo community. If the Geronimo developer community == Gluecode
employees then Geronimo was already in trouble with poor community
diversity! So IBM buying Geronimo does not make any change on that
front.

However, now that IBM too will have folks working on Geronimo (along
with the new IBMers from the old Gluecode) that somewhat increases the
challenge to Geronimo's leaders to make sure the community grows and
stays healthy in terms of having good diversity. I have no doubt Geir,
Jeremy and the other leaders of Geronimo realize this and will act with
their Apache hats on to help ensure's Geronimo's success.

IMO IBM will succeed in the Geronimo effort IFF Geronimo succeeds to its
full potential in Apache .. that means it becomes/remains a true
community project. However, there's no doubt that's not easy to do ..
witness Xerces. I know the IBM folks realize the challenges and I have
no doubt Geir and crew will avoid the pitfalls.

Sanjiva.
(an IBMer until a few weeks ago)

RE: IBM buys Gluecode

Natis,Yefim

I believe that if Geronimo earns a solid technical reputation, it may overshadow WebSphere despite IBM’s plans at the moment.  The tension between Eclipse and Rational is a somewhat similar situation.

  • Low cost of entry
  • Open Source license
  • Plugable MicroKernel architecture
  • IBM Support
  • IBM high-end extensions, when needed
  • Likely support by many tools and apps vendors (because of IBM)

This will look good to many.

But quality and safety of choice must be impeccable and the product can not be in the lab for much longer.  Otherwise it may slow down JBoss, but will not speed up Geronimo.  You can only introduce anything once.  If time passes and IBM/Geronimo looses mindshare – it will be hard to gain again.

Uh uh uh...that was a photo of Dain, not Geronimo :-P

Your reasoning is sounds...let's roll up our sleeves and see what we can do.

Yes -- I see that, based on the photo, Geronimo will be just out of site or not all that visible to customers.  :-)

But, what if Geronimo/Joe performs better, scales better, and remains easier to use than Websphere?  Maybe it has a future beyond SMBs (small to medium businesses).

Matt Hogstrom wrote:

The answer is here:

  But the question is, in the photo below, which one is Dain?  :)

Aaron

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Craig Johannsen wrote:

> Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?  Will

> IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the vision of

> the Geronimo project?

> IBM buys Gluecode (ZD Net):

> IBM purchase promotes open source (CIO News):

Re: IBM buys Gluecode

Geir Magnusson Jr.

On May 10, 2005, at 9:17 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:36 -0700, Craig Johannsen wrote:
>
>> Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?
>> Will
>> IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the
>> vision of
>> the Geronimo project?
>>

> The key for Geronimo's success as an Apache project lies with the
> Geronimo community. If the Geronimo developer community == Gluecode
> employees then Geronimo was already in trouble with poor community
> diversity! So IBM buying Geronimo does not make any change on that
> front.

Yes.  This is all about community and participation.  We have been
working, and will be working to increase the community diversity...

> However, now that IBM too will have folks working on Geronimo (along
> with the new IBMers from the old Gluecode) that somewhat increases the
> challenge to Geronimo's leaders to make sure the community grows and
> stays healthy in terms of having good diversity. I have no doubt Geir,
> Jeremy and the other leaders of Geronimo realize this and will act
> with
> their Apache hats on to help ensure's Geronimo's success.

That's my hope.  Apache Geronimo is Apache Geronimo - an Apache
project in which all participants are welcome.  We leave our employer
hats at the door when it comes to building community and working with
others.

> IMO IBM will succeed in the Geronimo effort IFF Geronimo succeeds
> to its
> full potential in Apache .. that means it becomes/remains a true
> community project. However, there's no doubt that's not easy to do ..
> witness Xerces. I know the IBM folks realize the challenges and I have
> no doubt Geir and crew will avoid the pitfalls.
>
> Sanjiva.
> (an IBMer until a few weeks ago)

:)

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437
[hidden email]