Is Geronimo still actively maintained?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is Geronimo still actively maintained?

epdv-2

Hello,

with the latest release being 3.0.1 from June 2013 and Wiki still saying
version 2.2 is still under development:
Is Geronimo still actively maintained?

Just a question ...

If yes, where can I find the docs about starting/stopping/etc. it
programmatically?

Kind regards
P.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is Geronimo still actively maintained?

kevan
Administrator
Hi Peter,
There is no current development or maintenance of the Geronimo server (none that I know of, anyway). There has been some interest expressed, but that has not (yet?) translated into anything concrete.

There is a recent/ongoing discussion on the [hidden email] mailing list on this general topic: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg94308.html

There is ongoing development / maintenance of Geronimo subprojects (xbean, java ee specs, javamail, transaction manager, etc.)

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 3:06 AM, Peter Nabbefeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

with the latest release being 3.0.1 from June 2013 and Wiki still saying version 2.2 is still under development:
Is Geronimo still actively maintained?

Just a question ...

If yes, where can I find the docs about starting/stopping/etc. it programmatically?

Kind regards
P.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is Geronimo still actively maintained?

epdv-2
Hm, as far as I remember, there have been some interesting concepts, but
I never tried Geronimo, as there hadn't been NetBenas support for it
(with the exception of some support by some badly documented plugin for
some very outdated version of Geronimo).

However, without Geronimo, IMO, there's an important piece of
open-source software missing. And this is even more true, as Oracle
seems to have no more (commercial) interest in Glassfish.

Regards
P.


Am 03.02.2017 um 19:13 schrieb Kevan Miller:

> Hi Peter,
> There is no current development or maintenance of the Geronimo server
> (none that I know of, anyway). There has been some interest expressed,
> but that has not (yet?) translated into anything concrete.
>
> There is a recent/ongoing discussion on the [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing
> list on this general
> topic: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg94308.html
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg94308.html>
>
> There is ongoing development / maintenance of Geronimo subprojects
> (xbean, java ee specs, javamail, transaction manager, etc.)
>
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 3:06 AM, Peter Nabbefeld <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>
>     Hello,
>
>     with the latest release being 3.0.1 from June 2013 and Wiki still
>     saying version 2.2 is still under development:
>     Is Geronimo still actively maintained?
>
>     Just a question ...
>
>     If yes, where can I find the docs about starting/stopping/etc. it
>     programmatically?
>
>     Kind regards
>     P.
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is Geronimo still actively maintained?

eduardogt
In reply to this post by epdv-2
Tips to get running geronimo-server:

1.  First of all you can make a file with execution privileges at
<geronimo-base-path>/bin called setenv.sh  there you can define some
important system values.  As an example (running on linux and JDK 1.7):

#!/bin/sh
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_80
export JRE_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_80/jre

#assuming you have installed geronimo at /opt/geronimo-3.0
export BASEDIR=/opt/geronimo-3.0
#here you can customize some memory aspects of JVM.
export GERONIMO_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1536m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
-Djava.awt.headless=true "

# END OF FILE... (don't try with Java 8)

Then you can start geronimo by doing:
./geronimo start

to stop geronimo server (the default user and password - I recommend you
to change it):
./geronimo stop -u system -p manager

If you want to run it as a service, must run the script:
<geronimo-base-path>/bin/register-service

This will create a link with all necesary to run geronimo as a service.

Geronimo is not dead, but is in a standby by now.   I see a lot of
future for it, but for sure needs changes to adapt to this new wave with
cloud and all those new technologies coming now, let's see what happens
next months.





On 02/02/2017 05:06 AM, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> with the latest release being 3.0.1 from June 2013 and Wiki still
> saying version 2.2 is still under development:
> Is Geronimo still actively maintained?
>
> Just a question ...
>
> If yes, where can I find the docs about starting/stopping/etc. it
> programmatically?
>
> Kind regards
> P.
>
>