Jakarta artifacts?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi everyone,

Should we release jakarta artifacts?
Short term I'm just expecting a shade added to the default artifact since for now it is 1-1 and for jakarta9 we would do the new bundle/artifact as usual probably (seems the less costly compromise to me).

If so (we do it now) I can take CDI SE stack + JSONB stack at my charge.
Happy to get help if anyone is interested.

Re: Jakarta artifacts?

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
+1

It sounds good. I can also help about the shading.

Regards
JB

Le 28 avr. 2020 à 07:37, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi everyone,

Should we release jakarta artifacts?
Short term I'm just expecting a shade added to the default artifact since for now it is 1-1 and for jakarta9 we would do the new bundle/artifact as usual probably (seems the less costly compromise to me).

If so (we do it now) I can take CDI SE stack + JSONB stack at my charge.
Happy to get help if anyone is interested.

Re: Jakarta artifacts?

We also have a branch for jakartaee already.

The question is which one is easier. There are btw slight differences. It is NOT 1:1! Some methods got removed!
So I'd rather go the branch way.

Am 28.04.2020 um 07:37 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:

Hi everyone,

Should we release jakarta artifacts?
Short term I'm just expecting a shade added to the default artifact since for now it is 1-1 and for jakarta9 we would do the new bundle/artifact as usual probably (seems the less costly compromise to me).

If so (we do it now) I can take CDI SE stack + JSONB stack at my charge.
Happy to get help if anyone is interested.

Re: Jakarta artifacts?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Clearly the shade option is easier today because it does not require to maintain 2 branches.

Do you have pointers on the removed methods? Most specs I reviewed were just 1-1.
Anyway, it is a first step for us to enable people to play with jakarta package, we can still adjust things and if the fork is too big we would have to use jakarta branch but it would be a pain for no gain IMHO.
If it is just about dropping a few methods we can add a shade transformer to do it IMHO.

Le mar. 28 avr. 2020 à 10:30, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> a écrit :
We also have a branch for jakartaee already.

The question is which one is easier. There are btw slight differences. It is NOT 1:1! Some methods got removed!
So I'd rather go the branch way.

Am 28.04.2020 um 07:37 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:

Hi everyone,

Should we release jakarta artifacts?
Short term I'm just expecting a shade added to the default artifact since for now it is 1-1 and for jakarta9 we would do the new bundle/artifact as usual probably (seems the less costly compromise to me).

If so (we do it now) I can take CDI SE stack + JSONB stack at my charge.
Happy to get help if anyone is interested.

Re: Jakarta artifacts?

Mark Struberg
Why is there any pain?
There is _nothing_ which we will change for the current specs. They are binary verified and frozen.
The only thing we changed in the last 2 years has been the java9 module name, but that is different in jakartaee anyway plus it's no code change but just a maven thingy.

Le mar. 28 avr. 2020 à 11:03, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Why is there any pain?
There is _nothing_ which we will change for the current specs. They are binary verified and frozen.
The only thing we changed in the last 2 years has been the java9 module name, but that is different in jakartaee anyway plus it's no code change but just a maven thingy.

Nop ;), we also changed OSGi meta and we always think it is frozen until we re-release them (most of the spec are not in 1.0 so I tend to think we can need minor adjustments).

Now if you have time to duplicate all specs, I'm happy with that, I just don't want to handle the duplicated work maintenance since it does not bring much IMHO for us and users but if  somebody else does it I'm happy with whatever solution gives us jakarta artifacts (side note being it includes jira versions, downloads, potential patches if any and dist area management to be very explicit).

Don't think it prevents the pending vote to finish though since it does not affect what we will do, it just adds experimental classified (as mvn classifier) artifact so no issue I guess.