Javamail 1.4 Version 1.9.0 proposal

Hendrik Dev
I did some work on Javamail 1.4  and want to discuss the changes
before commit them:

- Replaced greenmail with apache james
- Added new testcases, more to come ...
- Fixed APOP authentication for POP3
- Starttls is now also working for POP3
- Some love for pom's
- Fixed issues:

Support for properties mail.<protocol>.socketFactory and
mail.<protocol>.ssl.socketFactory

Support for property starttls.require

starttls.required is not supported by JavaMail

You can review the proposed changes here:
https://github.com/salyh/geronimo-javamail/commit/7bac5b296025a9de098428e88756c5b06ae44b2e

or get the diff here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/salyh/geronimo-javamail/7bac5b296025a9de098428e88756c5b06ae44b2e/svn.diff

Site is here: http://people.apache.org/~salyh/geronimo-javamail_1.4/1.9.0-SNAPSHOT/

Thanks for your comments or feedback
Hendrik

--
Hendrik Saly (salyh, hendrikdev22)
@hendrikdev22
PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

@hendrikdev22
PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

Re: Javamail 1.4 Version 1.9.0 proposal

kevan
Administrator
Thanks Hendrik!

That's a lot of changes to digest. I'm not sure how you intend to commit them, but if it's possible/feasible, please commit in functional pieces. Not all at once...

Some explanation/background of the greenmail -> James replacement would be appreciated...

--kevan

PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

Re: Javamail 1.4 Version 1.9.0 proposal

> Good to see you are eating some Apache James here, but James would also love
> to use Apache Geronimo Mail, which could lead to dependencies clash (james
> depending on geronimo depending on james...).

using crossed versions it is ok

> On 11/10/2014 05:38 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>
> Thanks Hendrik!
>
> That's a lot of changes to digest. I'm not sure how you intend to commit
> them, but if it's possible/feasible, please commit in functional pieces. Not
> all at once...
>
> Some explanation/background of the greenmail -> James replacement would be
> appreciated...
>
> --kevan
>
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Hendrik Dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I did some work on Javamail 1.4  and want to discuss the changes
>> before commit them:
>>
>> - Replaced greenmail with apache james
>> - Added new testcases, more to come ...
>> - Fixed APOP authentication for POP3
>> - Starttls is now also working for POP3
>> - Some love for pom's
>> - Fixed issues:
>>
>> Support for properties mail.<protocol>.socketFactory and
>> mail.<protocol>.ssl.socketFactory
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5429
>>
>> Support for property starttls.require
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5430
>>
>> starttls.required is not supported by JavaMail
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5873
>>

>> You can review the proposed changes here:
>>
>> https://github.com/salyh/geronimo-javamail/commit/7bac5b296025a9de098428e88756c5b06ae44b2e
>>
>> or get the diff here:
>>
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/salyh/geronimo-javamail/7bac5b296025a9de098428e88756c5b06ae44b2e/svn.diff
>>
>> Site is here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~salyh/geronimo-javamail_1.4/1.9.0-SNAPSHOT/
>>
>> Thanks for your comments or feedback
>> Hendrik
>>
>> --
>> Hendrik Saly (salyh, hendrikdev22)
>> @hendrikdev22
>> PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

Re: Javamail 1.4 Version 1.9.0 proposal

Hendrik Dev
Hi Kevan,

thanks, wil try to split commits.

About greenmail replacement:
Two reasons, mainly because greenmail does not support advanced imap features (like IDLE) and does not support some basics like Pop3 APOP and AUTH=PLAIN (both are buggy in the current geronimo javamail version) and a lot more. Other reason is the unclear license situation for greenmail.

@hendrikdev22
PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

@hendrikdev22
PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

Re: Javamail 1.4 Version 1.9.0 proposal

kevan
Administrator
Hi Hendrik.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Hendrik Dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kevan,

thanks, wil try to split commits.

About greenmail replacement:
Two reasons, mainly because greenmail does not support advanced imap features (like IDLE) and does not support some basics like Pop3 APOP and AUTH=PLAIN (both are buggy in the current geronimo javamail version) and a lot more. Other reason is the unclear license situation for greenmail.

Thanks for the info. I have no problems with a switch to James. I just want to see the change discussed. This helps others understand, both now and, more importantly, in the future.

It's my understanding that there is a new greenmail release. I haven't looked at it, but my understanding is that it should clear up the licensing questions. Again, not arguing for or against. Just making sure facts are laid out...

--kevan

Re: Javamail 1.4 Version 1.9.0 proposal

Hendrik Dev
original greenmail license discussion is here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/oozie-dev/201407.mbox/%3C40DCC9B8-5DFF-4676-BCF5-7A11247CCAB1@...%3E
but you' re right, version 1.4 has a Apache licence:
https://github.com/greenmail-mail-test/greenmail/blob/master/license.txt

But despite of that the feature discussion is the important one. Have
not looked yet on greenmail 1.4 but i would like to use a "real"
mailserver to test the javamail impl. and james seems to be the
perfect candidate:
its an apache project, its (mostly) rfc compliant, its suitable for
unittesting and possibly synergy effects if the project use each
other.

The big problem of geronimo javamail (impl, not spec) is the (almost
complete) absence of unittests. Writing these should not be limited by
a fake implementation like greenmail especially for testing IMAP
(which is itself a mess already :-)

--
Hendrik Saly (salyh, hendrikdev22)
@hendrikdev22
PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

Re: Javamail 1.4 Version 1.9.0 proposal

David Jencks
I think what you are proposing is great.  I never had time to wrap my head around javamail enough to do anything with it.  Getting the geronimo implementation to actually work with  James would be really nice.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Hendrik Dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
But despite of that the feature discussion is the important one. Have
not looked yet on greenmail 1.4 but i would like to use a "real"
mailserver to test the javamail impl. and james seems to be the
perfect candidate:
its an apache project, its (mostly) rfc compliant, its suitable for
unittesting and possibly synergy effects if the project use each
other.

All sounds good.

The big problem of geronimo javamail (impl, not spec) is the (almost
complete) absence of unittests. Writing these should not be limited by
a fake implementation like greenmail especially for testing IMAP
(which is itself a mess already :-)

Yes. Afraid most of the "testing" has been from the TCK. More unit tests would be fantastic!

--kevan

Re: Javamail 1.4 Version 1.9.0 proposal

Hendrik Dev
Thanks for your comments and the discussion so far.

Here is another commit proposal for the spec jar which will fix two
jiras and i want to ask again for comments/feedback:

https://github.com/salyh/jm14specsvn/commit/36befc6011aea101afc86d53a2398d14b9a50d66

This commit fixes:

The Testcase for 6480 will be part of the impl project because james
is needed for that:
https://github.com/salyh/geronimo-javamail/commit/8290488e7911bab87bb07c8a3e9adefd9a368b0a

Thanks
Hendrik

--
Hendrik Saly (salyh, hendrikdev22)
@hendrikdev22
PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

Re: Javamail 1.4 Version 1.9.0 proposal

Hendrik Dev
next one which fixes Fix GERONIMO-6165

https://github.com/salyh/jm14specsvn/commit/9563e09ba5ddfb74401eb7d5b37abb60ceb3ea7c

I replaced the original QuotedPrintable encoding/decoding stuff with
mime4j (included as shaded jar)