Logging in Tomcat

anita kulshreshtha
Jeff and Jacek,
    Is there a specific reason/problem because of
which the digester logs are not written to a separate
log file.

TIA
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

RE: Logging in Tomcat

Jeff Genender
Anita,

Can you be more specific in your question?  Are you saying you want a Tomcat
log to go to another log file?

Jeff

RE: Logging in Tomcat

anita kulshreshtha
I find it convenient to log only INFO level logs from
tomcat to geronimo.log and DEBUG level logs to a
separate file. Digester produces too much output and
it is hard to sift through the logs.

Thanks
Anita
--- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anita,
>
> Can you be more specific in your question?  Are you
> saying you want a Tomcat
> log to go to another log file?
>
> Jeff

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Logging in Tomcat

Jeff Genender
Anita,

I believe a log4j configuration should allow you to do what you want.
You should be able to control certain packages (i.e. Digester) to go to
its own log file and you should be able to set the level of debugging.

Jeff

anita kulshreshtha wrote:

> I find it convenient to log only INFO level logs from
> tomcat to geronimo.log and DEBUG level logs to a
> separate file. Digester produces too much output and
> it is hard to sift through the logs.
>
> Thanks
> Anita
> --- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Anita,
>>
>>Can you be more specific in your question?  Are you
>>saying you want a Tomcat
>>log to go to another log file?
>>
>>Jeff

Re: Logging in Tomcat

anita kulshreshtha
Jeff,
    Yes it does. By default the Digester should be
turned off and a comment out line to turn it on. As an
application developer, I would like my tomcat output
to be free of gbeans. I also think we should have a
separate  tomcat-log4j.properties file just like
jetty, deployer and client. I will be glad to submit
the code.

Thanks
Anita

--- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anita,
>
> I believe a log4j configuration should allow you to
> do what you want.
> You should be able to control certain packages (i.e.
> Digester) to go to
> its own log file and you should be able to set the
> level of debugging.
>
> Jeff
>
> anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> > I find it convenient to log only INFO level logs
> from
> > tomcat to geronimo.log and DEBUG level logs to a
> > separate file. Digester produces too much output
> and
> > it is hard to sift through the logs.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Anita
> > --- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >>Anita,
> >>
> >>Can you be more specific in your question?  Are
> you
> >>saying you want a Tomcat
> >>log to go to another log file?
> >>
> >>Jeff

Re: Logging in Tomcat

Jeff Genender
Submit away!  I can use the help.

Jeff

anita kulshreshtha wrote:

> Jeff,
>     Yes it does. By default the Digester should be
> turned off and a comment out line to turn it on. As an
> application developer, I would like my tomcat output
> to be free of gbeans. I also think we should have a
> separate  tomcat-log4j.properties file just like
> jetty, deployer and client. I will be glad to submit
> the code.
>
> Thanks
> Anita
>
> --- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Anita,
>>
>>I believe a log4j configuration should allow you to
>>do what you want.
>>You should be able to control certain packages (i.e.
>>Digester) to go to
>>its own log file and you should be able to set the
>>level of debugging.
>>
>>Jeff
>>
>>anita kulshreshtha wrote:
>>
>>>I find it convenient to log only INFO level logs
>>
>>from
>>
>>>tomcat to geronimo.log and DEBUG level logs to a
>>>separate file. Digester produces too much output
>>
>>and
>>
>>>it is hard to sift through the logs.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Anita
>>>--- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]>

>>you

Re: Logging in Tomcat

jgenender
Lets get this out for discussion.  AFAIK, currently Jetty does not come
with these things automatically enabled (correct me if I am wrong but
did not notice a config for Jetty).  Deployer and client do, but I do
not see Jetty.

Therefore, I think we need to be consistent...if we make this change,
then I would assume Jetty need to would also.

So, whats the consensus on this?  Do we allow the web containers to
automaticlly log to a new file out-of-the-box, or leave it in the
geronimo.log?  And instead of Tomcat logging to a tomcat.log, would it
be more prudent to go to a generic web.log, so matter which container
you use, you know where it will go?

Thoughts?

Jeff

anita kulshreshtha wrote:

> Jeff,
>     Yes it does. By default the Digester should be
> turned off and a comment out line to turn it on. As an
> application developer, I would like my tomcat output
> to be free of gbeans. I also think we should have a
> separate  tomcat-log4j.properties file just like
> jetty, deployer and client. I will be glad to submit
> the code.
>
> Thanks
> Anita
>
> --- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Anita,
>>
>>I believe a log4j configuration should allow you to
>>do what you want.
>>You should be able to control certain packages (i.e.
>>Digester) to go to
>>its own log file and you should be able to set the
>>level of debugging.
>>
>>Jeff
>>
>>anita kulshreshtha wrote:
>>
>>>I find it convenient to log only INFO level logs
>>
>>from
>>
>>>tomcat to geronimo.log and DEBUG level logs to a
>>>separate file. Digester produces too much output
>>
>>and
>>
>>>it is hard to sift through the logs.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Anita
>>>--- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]>

>>you

http://geronimo.apache.org

Re: Logging in Tomcat

anita kulshreshtha
Jetty logs are directed to jetty_yyyy_mm_dd.log using
JettyRequestLog gbean. When we decide to provide the
facility to replace Jetty with Tomcat, the Logger
gbean in tomcat can be used to replace JettyRequestLog
in j2ee-server-plan.xml.
--- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lets get this out for discussion.  AFAIK, currently
> Jetty does not come
> with these things automatically enabled (correct me
> if I am wrong but
> did not notice a config for Jetty).  Deployer and
> client do, but I do
> not see Jetty.
>
> Therefore, I think we need to be consistent...if we
> make this change,
> then I would assume Jetty need to would also.
>
> So, whats the consensus on this?  Do we allow the
> web containers to
> automaticlly log to a new file out-of-the-box, or
> leave it in the
> geronimo.log?  And instead of Tomcat logging to a
> tomcat.log, would it
> be more prudent to go to a generic web.log, so
> matter which container
> you use, you know where it will go?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jeff
>
> anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> > Jeff,
> >     Yes it does. By default the Digester should be
> > turned off and a comment out line to turn it on.
> As an
> > application developer, I would like my tomcat
> output
> > to be free of gbeans. I also think we should have
> > separate  tomcat-log4j.properties file just like
> > jetty, deployer and client. I will be glad to
> submit
> > the code.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Anita
> >
> > --- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >>Anita,
> >>
> >>I believe a log4j configuration should allow you
> >>do what you want.
> >>You should be able to control certain packages
> (i.e.
> >>Digester) to go to
> >>its own log file and you should be able to set the
> >>level of debugging.
> >>
> >>Jeff

> >>from

> >>and

> >>you

Re: Logging in Tomcat

jgenender
This is different then.

Jetty is using its own logging facility for its access log (requests),
which is different than a log4j setup (which is used for INFO, DEBUG,
and ERROR logging).

This same thing is capable through using the AccessLogValve, which
exists in the j2ee-server-tomcat.xml plan.  If you are requiring that a
request/access log be available on utilizing Tomcat (like Jetty) when
enabling the Tomcat container, I would be happy to enable the valve in
the plan.

Is this what you want?

Jeff