Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

gqmulligan
This thread is dedicated to pushing for the next release of Geronimo (version 2.2.2). It would be great to get a target date set for this release.

There is a particular bug fix that I am really looking forward to regarding the use of the root context.

Other user/devloper votes or comments are welcome to help move the next release forward.

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

gqmulligan
Is there really no one else who would benefit from or welcome the next version of Geronimo?  Would this really not make anyone else happy?  Might it even make some sad?

Lets at least get some votes here please!

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

Shawn J
Most of the focus have been in Geronimo 3.x instead of Geronimo 2.2 branch in community.   Do you have any specific requirement that has to be fulfilled with Geronimo 2.2.x instead of Geronimo 3.x ?

We'd like to hear more voice on if we need to plan a near term Geronimo 2.2.2 release.

Shawn

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

gqmulligan
That is understandable.  The main issue I personally would then have is that Geronimo 3.x uses Tomcat 7.  I'm not sure if the web container is fully integrated or if it can be swapped for another version but right now we are using Tomcat 6 with Geronimo 2.2 in production.  It doesn't look like there are any big breaking changes migrating from Tomcat 6 to 7 but we would still have to do lots of testing for obvious reasons.

Also, I am not sure how much effort it would take to do a 2.2.2 release.  I do not want to distract anyone from their main goals but if a 2.2.2 release can be accomplished without too much effort and distraction long before the 3.x release can take place then it would be great to have the 2.2.2 release.

I see the final release for 3.x is still TBD 2012 according to the release roadmap.  Do you have any better idea now when it will be released in 2012 compared to when a 2.2.2 release could be made if you decided to go through with it?

Shawn

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

gqmulligan
Does anybody have any further information?

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

kevan
Administrator

On Jun 7, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> Most of the focus have been in Geronimo 3.x instead of Geronimo 2.2 branch in community.   Do you have any specific requirement that has to be fulfilled with Geronimo 2.2.x instead of Geronimo 3.x ?
>
> We'd like to hear more voice on if we need to plan a near term Geronimo 2.2.2 release.

That doesn't seem like a well-thought out answer… Given the HASH-DOS security vulnerability and other general issues, there seems to be enough to merit a 2.2.x release. If the community doesn't want to generate a release, then seems like we should be discussing dropping support for 2.2.x (which is something that I would not be in favor of).

--kevan

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

Shawn J
I might not have make myself clear,  I meant "Most of the focus have been in Geronimo 3.x instead of Geronimo 2.2 branch in community  recently".

We have provided patches for the HASH-DOS vulnerability.    I'm open for a new 2.2.2 release and related discussion for other general issues when Geronimo 3.0 is in a good shape.

Shawn

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

gqmulligan
Shawn J wrote
We have provided patches for the HASH-DOS vulnerability.    I'm open for a
new 2.2.2 release and related discussion for other general issues when
Geronimo 3.0 is in a good shape.

--
Shawn
Do you have an idea of when Geronimo 3.x will be in good shape and then approximately how long it will take to do a 2.2.x release? Just a rough estimate/target date is all I am looking for.  I am trying to get a handle on what to expect so I can start planning accordingly for an upgrade to Geronimo 3.x or if I am able to wait for the 2.2.x release.

I am hoping the release is not too far off.

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

gqmulligan
Even if nobody else is interested in a 2.2.x release I figured there would at least be others interested in more details on the official Geronimo 3.x release.

Shawn J do you have any details or know anybody I might be able to ask to get them?

On Jun 18, 2012, at 12:55 PM, gqmulligan wrote:

> Even if nobody else is interested in a 2.2.x release I figured there would at
> least be others interested in more details on the official Geronimo 3.x
> release.
>
> Shawn J do you have any details or know anybody I might be able to ask to
> get them?

One of the major pieces is TCK status which is passing.

--kevan

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

gqmulligan
Thanks a lot for the link.  I'll have to pay more attention to the developer forum.  I was mistakenly looking at https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/apache-geronimo-release-roadmaps.html and didn't realize the TBD date is only changed for the actual release date.

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

Shawn J
I'll start a Geronimoi 2.2.2 release discussion in near term .

We'll include the accumulated security patches and bug fixes and to pull in the clustering update in openejb 3.1.5 for Geronimo 2.2.2.

I'll use that thread to know the other requirements from community before starting the release.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM, gqmulligan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks a lot for the link.  I'll have to pay more attention to the developer
forum.  I was mistakenly looking at
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/apache-geronimo-release-roadmaps.html and
didn't realize the TBD date is only changed for the actual release date.

Shawn

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

Johannes Weberhofer
Am 26.06.12 06:34, schrieb Shawn Jiang:

> I'll start a Geronimoi 2.2.2 release discussion in near term .
>
> We'll include the accumulated security patches and bug fixes and to pull in the clustering update in openejb 3.1.5 for Geronimo 2.2.2.
>
> I'll use that thread to know the other requirements from community before starting the release.
>
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM, gqmulligan <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks a lot for the link.  I'll have to pay more attention to the developer
>     forum.  I was mistakenly looking at
>     https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/apache-geronimo-release-roadmaps.html and
>     didn't realize the TBD date is only changed for the actual release date.
>
>     --

> Shawn

Would be great to see a 2.2.2 release, as porting to 3.0 for older applications could take some time.

Johannes

--
Johannes Weberhofer
Weberhofer GmbH, Austria, Vienna

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

Shawn J
Hello,

Geronimo 3.0 has been released,   it's time to discuss what we want to include to the Geronimo 2.2.2.   You mentioned you want to include a JIRA fix in the release.   Can you be more specific ?

I opened another thread on Geronimo 2.2.2,  please also comment on that thread if it's possible.

Shawn J wrote

Shawn

Re: Request for Geronimo 2.2.2 Release

gqmulligan
Sorry for the late response I just now saw your updated post to this thread.

The Jira fix I really want in the release is found here .

My original explanation can also be found here.

I am looking forward to this release.

Thanks a lot.

Shawn J wrote