When can we expect geronimo 1.0?

sanjaya gayan
Hi all,

When can we expect a Geronimo 1.0? Is it too early to ask this question?

Wishing the project all the success.

thanks,
sanjaya.

Re: When can we expect geronimo 1.0?

Geir Magnusson Jr.

On May 9, 2005, at 5:31 AM, sanjaya gayan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When can we expect a Geronimo 1.0? Is it too early to ask this
> question?

I think it's  a little early.  We're working hard to get Geronimo
certified first, as that's the first step to being a useful J2EE 1.4
application server.

Then we'll decide (all of us - including you) on what should be in
version 1 - what kind of usability features, performance and
reliability issues we should focus on for the first release.

> Wishing the project all the success.

Thanks!  Come help!

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: When can we expect geronimo 1.0?

epdv-2
Geir Magnusson Jr. schrieb:

> On May 9, 2005, at 5:31 AM, sanjaya gayan wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When can we expect a Geronimo 1.0? Is it too early to ask this  question?
>

> I think it's  a little early.  We're working hard to get Geronimo
> certified first, as that's the first step to being a useful J2EE 1.4
> application server.

There's nothing visible on the project's website about any progress, so
waiting time is hard. However, the most important IMO is not, which
additional features are supported, but when geronimo will become usable
according to the specs, i.e. certified.

Kind regards

Peter Nabbefeld

On May 12, 2005, at 9:27 AM, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. schrieb:
>
>> On May 9, 2005, at 5:31 AM, sanjaya gayan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> When can we expect a Geronimo 1.0? Is it too early to ask this
>>> question?
>>>
>> I think it's  a little early.  We're working hard to get Geronimo
>> certified first, as that's the first step to being a useful J2EE
>> 1.4  application server.
>>
> There's nothing visible on the project's website about any
> progress, so waiting time is hard.

You are right.  Our website is awful.  THanks for volunteering! :)

The problem is that we can't tell anyone outside of the certification
effort how far we are.  We can only say "we pass" or "we don't
pass".  (Keeps the industry from creating J2EE servers with "most" of
the required features....

We sure wish CORBA was optional :)

> However, the most important IMO is not, which additional features
> are supported, but when geronimo will become usable according to
> the specs, i.e. certified.

Agreed.

geir

> Kind regards
>
> Peter Nabbefeld
>

>> Then we'll decide (all of us - including you) on what should be
>> in  version 1 - what kind of usability features, performance and
>> reliability issues we should focus on for the first release.
>>

>>> Wishing the project all the success.
>>>
>> Thanks!  Come help!
>> geir
>>

>>> thanks,
>>> sanjaya.
>>>

>>> How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps
>>> for FREE with Yahoo! Photos. Get Yahoo! Photos

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: When can we expect geronimo 1.0?

caboteria
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 05:24:55PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> You are right.  Our website is awful.  THanks for volunteering! :)

The more the merrier, but please base your work on
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-575 so we don't re-do
the same things.

Cheers,
Toby

On May 12, 2005, at 6:25 PM, toby cabot wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 05:24:55PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> You are right.  Our website is awful.  THanks for volunteering! :)
>>

> The more the merrier, but please base your work on
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-575 so we don't re-do
> the same things.

Cool!  So this is just static to be applied directly?

I was thinking of tossing the maven site completely and starting from
scratch with something simple.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: When can we expect geronimo 1.0?

Alan Cabrera
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On May 12, 2005, at 6:25 PM, toby cabot wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 05:24:55PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> You are right.  Our website is awful.  THanks for volunteering! :)
>>>

>> The more the merrier, but please base your work on
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-575 so we don't re-do
>> the same things.
>

> Cool!  So this is just static to be applied directly?
>
> I was thinking of tossing the maven site completely and starting from
> scratch with something simple.

It would be nice to have a "static" section that contains information on
Geronimo and a "dynamic" section that contains daily build reports.

Regards,
Alan

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 10:58:32AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On May 12, 2005, at 6:25 PM, toby cabot wrote:
>
> >On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 05:24:55PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >
> >>You are right.  Our website is awful.  THanks for volunteering! :)
> >>

> >The more the merrier, but please base your work on
> >http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-575 so we don't re-do
> >the same things.
>
> Cool!  So this is just static to be applied directly?

Yup.  Here's some background: There was yet another "is Geronimo dead"
thread on this list back in February and people seemed to think that
the web site needed a freshening so I volunteered.  Unfortunately, the
mailing list archive for February 2005 seems to have been lost so that
conversation isn't available anywhere.  But I tried to respect the
consensus that came out of it and I think that my changes are pretty
benign.  The biggest change is adding a lot of "we're not dead just
working on certification" verbiage.

You can take a look at
http://www.caboteria.org/~tobyc/g6o-docs/

> I was thinking of tossing the maven site completely and starting from
> scratch with something simple.

That's a good idea.  One of the problems with the auto-generated site
is that a lot of the pages are "stubs" that don't have any useful
content but Maven doesn't know to *not* generate them.  A few
hand-coded pages with lots of links to the wiki would probably be a
lot more user-friendly because there would be fewer "dead ends."

Re: When can we expect geronimo 1.0?

sanjaya gayan
Hmm...
Strange. You are correct. the archives for 2005 feb
isn't visible on
nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse.
A couple of days ago I took the liberty of asking
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/ to archive geronimo-user
list because it was
not there even though geronimo-dev was. so it was
added and you can find the
2005 feb archive over there.

strange, but it's there.

sanjaya.