Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

Steve Rowe
Hi, my name is Steve Rowe, and I'm a member of the Apache Lucene PMC.

We recently discovered that the "greenmail" Java library, which declares its license as ASLv2 in its POM and elsewhere, has LGPL license headers in its source code files.  In response the Lucene project reverted a recent commit containing this depedency.

I conducted a survey of current Apache releases and found that four Apache projects include source code that links to the "greenmail" library: Syncope, OODT, Oozie and Geronimo.  Additionally, Axis2 has a Maven POM that includes a "greenmail" dependency, though I couldn't find any current releases containing this dependency.  Details are posted on <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-206>; I would appreciate your project's involvement.

An issue was filed with the greenmail project on Sourceforge earlier this year asking for clarification <http://sourceforge.net/p/greenmail/bugs/8/>, but there has been no response on that issue, or any other issue, for that matter - the project may be dead, as it has seen no activity for some time.

Steve

Re: Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

Hendrik Dev
Hi,

i am the author and IP holder of the "javamail mock2 library which"
maybe can be used an as alternative for greenmail here.
Its not exactly doing what greenmail is doing (mock2 is mocking
javamail classes like Folder, Transport, Store and so on and does not
emulate a mailserver on the protocol level) but normally this doesn't
matter.
I am also willing to donate the stuff to apache incubator if its
considered to be worthy and useful.

Library is here: https://github.com/salyh/javamail-mock2 (AL License)

Thanks
Hendrik

--
Hendrik Saly (salyh, hendrikdev22)
@hendrikdev22
PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

Re: Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

Alan Cabrera-2

On Jul 12, 2014, at 12:54 PM, Hendrik Dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i am the author and IP holder of the "javamail mock2 library which"
> maybe can be used an as alternative for greenmail here.
> Its not exactly doing what greenmail is doing (mock2 is mocking
> javamail classes like Folder, Transport, Store and so on and does not
> emulate a mailserver on the protocol level) but normally this doesn't
> matter.
> I am also willing to donate the stuff to apache incubator if its
> considered to be worthy and useful.
>
> Library is here: https://github.com/salyh/javamail-mock2 (AL License)

Awesome!  If the library is published to maven.org, and I see that it is, then the only work ahead is to port our tests to it.   Would you be interested in helping?

I do notice that it's still in beta.  When do you anticipate a "regular" release?  I don't think that this would stop us from porting our tests but as a user of the project I'm just curious.

Finally, there's no need for you to go to through the Incubator for use to use your project in our tests.  However, there's no reason to for you to not go there if you think you could grow a nice healthy community around it.

Regards,
Alan

> Thanks
> Hendrik
>

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, my name is Steve Rowe, and I'm a member of the Apache Lucene PMC.
>>
>> We recently discovered that the "greenmail" Java library, which declares its
>> license as ASLv2 in its POM and elsewhere, has LGPL license headers in its
>> source code files.  In response the Lucene project reverted a recent commit
>> containing this depedency.
>>
>> I conducted a survey of current Apache releases and found that four Apache
>> projects include source code that links to the "greenmail" library: Syncope,
>> OODT, Oozie and Geronimo.  Additionally, Axis2 has a Maven POM that includes
>> a "greenmail" dependency, though I couldn't find any current releases
>> containing this dependency.  Details are posted on
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-206>; I would appreciate your
>> project's involvement.
>>
>> An issue was filed with the greenmail project on Sourceforge earlier this
>> year asking for clarification <http://sourceforge.net/p/greenmail/bugs/8/>,
>> but there has been no response on that issue, or any other issue, for that
>> matter - the project may be dead, as it has seen no activity for some time.
>>
>> Steve
>

> --
> Hendrik Saly (salyh, hendrikdev22)
> @hendrikdev22
> PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

Re: Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

Hendrik Dev
Hi Alan,

sure, i am glad if i can help you porting the tests.
Its beta because its new and not really proven.
If you don't have a problem with that there it is a chance for the lib
to mature which i would grab.

Regards
Hendrik

--
Hendrik Saly (salyh, hendrikdev22)
@hendrikdev22
PGP: 0x22D7F6EC

Re: Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

kevan
Administrator
Thanks Steve. For clarity:

This message announces a license switch for Greenmail -- http://sourceforge.net/p/greenmail/mailman/message/58953/
However, some/most/all of the src license headers are still labeled as LGPL. There would also be general questions about the license switch -- were all necessary copyrights properly held to make this license switch? And subsequent to the switch were all changes/contributions made under ALv2?

Depending on the outcome of these questions, you may or may not want to treat the greenmail dependency as LGPL. Assuming it is held to be LGPL, then a question of how the dependency is used? Bundling an LGPL dependency is bad. Direct source linkage to LGPL, likewise. Simple build / test maven dependency would be OK from an ASF perspective...

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Steve

Re: Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

Robert Kanter
Thanks for letting us know Steve.
In Oozie, it's only included as a test scope dependency and used only for unit tests, so I think we're good here.

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Kevan Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Steve. For clarity:

This message announces a license switch for Greenmail --
http://sourceforge.net/p/greenmail/mailman/message/58953/
However, some/most/all of the src license headers are still labeled as
LGPL. There would also be general questions about the license switch --
were all necessary copyrights properly held to make this license switch?
And subsequent to the switch were all changes/contributions made under ALv2?

Depending on the outcome of these questions, you may or may not want to
treat the greenmail dependency as LGPL. Assuming it is held to be LGPL,
then a question of how the dependency is used? Bundling an LGPL dependency
is bad. Direct source linkage to LGPL, likewise. Simple build / test maven
dependency would be OK from an ASF perspective...

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, my name is Steve Rowe, and I'm a member of the Apache Lucene PMC.
>
> We recently discovered that the "greenmail" Java library, which declares
> its license as ASLv2 in its POM and elsewhere, has LGPL license headers in
> its source code files.  In response the Lucene project reverted a recent
> commit containing this depedency.
>
> I conducted a survey of current Apache releases and found that four Apache
> projects include source code that links to the "greenmail" library:
> Syncope, OODT, Oozie and Geronimo.  Additionally, Axis2 has a Maven POM
> that includes a "greenmail" dependency, though I couldn't find any current
> releases containing this dependency.  Details are posted on <
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-206>; I would appreciate your
> project's involvement.
>
> An issue was filed with the greenmail project on Sourceforge earlier this
> year asking for clarification <http://sourceforge.net/p/greenmail/bugs/8/>,
> but there has been no response on that issue, or any other issue, for that
> matter - the project may be dead, as it has seen no activity for some time.
>
> Steve

Re: Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

kelly
Same with Aapche OODT. We use it soley in the test <scope> to ensure our IMAP handling works.

--k