proposal for new site

Geir Magnusson Jr.
We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-based
documents for content.

An example of what it looks like now is here :

http://people.apache.org/~geirm/geronimo/

I put into the geronimo svn repo under /site (parallel tree to /
trunk) so people can play with it.

I think I captured all the info from the current site.  The upside is
that it takes <10 seconds to fully generate, so adding content is a
breeze.

If I get lucky and there are no objections, I'd like to bring up as
the geronimo site ASAP, for a bunch of reasons.  It's more up to date
(and I'll keep working on it..) and has the logo for ApacheCon EU,
coming up, which we do need to advertise...

yes, right now it's ant based (just type "ant" and it will generate)
and has the dependencies in svn (not optimal).  We can convert to
maven if people really care and they want to go this direction.

Comments?

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

David Blevins
On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:19:08PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> The upside is that it takes <10 seconds to fully generate, so
> adding content is a breeze.

That right there is enough for me.  A definite step in the right direction.

-David

Re: proposal for new site

Geir Magnusson Jr.

On Jun 7, 2005, at 3:49 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:19:08PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> The upside is that it takes <10 seconds to fully generate, so
>> adding content is a breeze.
>>

> That right there is enough for me.  A definite step in the right
> direction.

Lets decide if we want to go forward with this, even as a temporary
measure.  Maybe people will bite and want to contribute to it - at
the worst, we get the site updated quickly and get the ApacheCon EU
ad on it...

geir

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 05:59:26AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2005, at 3:49 AM, David Blevins wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:19:08PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >
> >>The upside is that it takes <10 seconds to fully generate, so
> >>adding content is a breeze.
> >>

> >That right there is enough for me.  A definite step in the right
> >direction.
>
> Lets decide if we want to go forward with this, even as a temporary
> measure.  Maybe people will bite and want to contribute to it - at
> the worst, we get the site updated quickly and get the ApacheCon EU
> ad on it...

+1 From me for the same reasons you state.  We can get fancy as time allows.  Baby steps.

Thanks,
David

Re: proposal for new site

Geir Magnusson Jr.
Ok - I pushed it out.  When the servers synch, it will be there.

We need a more complete list of dependencies - and the intention
isn't our dep list, but rather the "collaboration" list.  We have a
dep on clogging, for example, but I wouldn't consider that a
collaboration.

Also, I'll summarize the roadmap discussion and put that to the dev
list and then to the site...

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

David Blevins
I didn't mean to be the deciding vote, I'd still like to know what others think.  We haven't heard from very many people on this thread.

Hey everyone out there who has ever had an opinion on the website, what do you think?

Again, I'm talking to everyone, not just people privileged with commit access.  Speak up :)

-David

On Jun 7, 2005, at 2:37 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> I didn't mean to be the deciding vote,

You weren't

> I'd still like to know what others think.  We haven't heard from
> very many people on this thread.
>
> Hey everyone out there who has ever had an opinion on the website,
> what do you think?
>
> Again, I'm talking to everyone, not just people privileged with
> commit access.  Speak up :)

It's out there.  Comments and patches appreciated.  If people really
don't like it, we rollback (easy to do) and then replace with the
offered alternative :)

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

Bruce Snyder
On 6/7/05, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I didn't mean to be the deciding vote, I'd still like to know what others think.  We haven't heard from very many people on this thread.
>
> Hey everyone out there who has ever had an opinion on the website, what do you think?
>
> Again, I'm talking to everyone, not just people privileged with commit access.  Speak up :)

+1. It's highly important to have current information available to the
community. We can get more sophisticated later.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: proposal for new site

caboteria
> We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
> together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-based
> documents for content.

Looks much better than the old site!  Based on discussion on the -user
list in February I submitted bug 575 which was an attempt to stem the "is
Geronimo alive?" questions that popped up from time to time.  You might
want to take a look at that patch to see if there's any text that you can
use.  You can at least close the bug ;)

Re: proposal for new site

Geir Magnusson Jr.
Ok.  Will do that.  Want to keep helping?  :)

geir

On Jun 8, 2005, at 2:07 PM, toby cabot wrote:

>> We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
>> together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-based
>> documents for content.
>>

> Looks much better than the old site!  Based on discussion on the -user
> list in February I submitted bug 575 which was an attempt to stem
> the "is
> Geronimo alive?" questions that popped up from time to time.  You
> might
> want to take a look at that patch to see if there's any text that
> you can
> use.  You can at least close the bug ;)

Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

caboteria
> Ok.  Will do that.  Want to keep helping?  :)

Sure!

Re: proposal for new site

Dain Sundstrom
On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:07 AM, toby cabot wrote:

>> We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
>> together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-based
>> documents for content.
>>

> Looks much better than the old site!  Based on discussion on the -user
> list in February I submitted bug 575 which was an attempt to stem
> the "is
> Geronimo alive?" questions that popped up from time to time.  You
> might
> want to take a look at that patch to see if there's any text that
> you can
> use.  You can at least close the bug ;)

Wow, I can't believe we never applied that one.  I'll apply the
applicable bit later today.

Can you do me a favor and hold our feet to the fire next time we
slack off on a patch?

Thanks a ton,

-dain

Re: proposal for new site

Dain Sundstrom
Looks like Geir is already on this (mail on users list).... Darn
cross posts

-dain

On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:07 AM, toby cabot wrote:
>

>>> We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
>>> together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-
>>> based
>>> documents for content.
>>>

>> Looks much better than the old site!  Based on discussion on the -
>> user
>> list in February I submitted bug 575 which was an attempt to stem
>> the "is
>> Geronimo alive?" questions that popped up from time to time.  You
>> might
>> want to take a look at that patch to see if there's any text that
>> you can
>> use.  You can at least close the bug ;)
>>
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-575
>>

> Wow, I can't believe we never applied that one.  I'll apply the
> applicable bit later today.
>
> Can you do me a favor and hold our feet to the fire next time we
> slack off on a patch?
>
> Thanks a ton,
>
> -dain

Re: proposal for new site