proposal for new site

12

proposal for new site

Geir Magnusson Jr.
We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-based
documents for content.

An example of what it looks like now is here :

http://people.apache.org/~geirm/geronimo/

I put into the geronimo svn repo under /site (parallel tree to /
trunk) so people can play with it.

I think I captured all the info from the current site.  The upside is
that it takes <10 seconds to fully generate, so adding content is a
breeze.

If I get lucky and there are no objections, I'd like to bring up as
the geronimo site ASAP, for a bunch of reasons.  It's more up to date
(and I'll keep working on it..) and has the logo for ApacheCon EU,
coming up, which we do need to advertise...

yes, right now it's ant based (just type "ant" and it will generate)
and has the dependencies in svn (not optimal).  We can convert to
maven if people really care and they want to go this direction.

Comments?

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

ammulder
        Looks OK to me, but Road Map is empty (which I guess you know),
coding standards are missing, and dependencies are woefully incomplete.

        Also, I think Simone's name is spelled wrong, John Sisson is
listed twice, and I'd like to phrase the page as a committer list -- as it
may be hard to maintain an "everyone who's done something useful" list.
Though if we want that, let's at least designate the committers somehow.

Aaron

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
> together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-based
> documents for content.
>
> An example of what it looks like now is here :
>
> http://people.apache.org/~geirm/geronimo/
>
> I put into the geronimo svn repo under /site (parallel tree to /
> trunk) so people can play with it.
>
> I think I captured all the info from the current site.  The upside is
> that it takes <10 seconds to fully generate, so adding content is a
> breeze.
>
> If I get lucky and there are no objections, I'd like to bring up as
> the geronimo site ASAP, for a bunch of reasons.  It's more up to date
> (and I'll keep working on it..) and has the logo for ApacheCon EU,
> coming up, which we do need to advertise...
>
> yes, right now it's ant based (just type "ant" and it will generate)
> and has the dependencies in svn (not optimal).  We can convert to
> maven if people really care and they want to go this direction.
>
> Comments?
>
> geir
>
> --
> Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

Geir Magnusson Jr

On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:51 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

>     Looks OK to me, but Road Map is empty (which I guess you know),
> coding standards are missing, and dependencies are woefully
> incomplete.

yep, yep and yep.  I was going to summarize our roadmap discussion
for that but didn't get to it.

I didn't get to the coding standards, and deps clearly needs to be
finished.  re the deps, I wanted people to review the language about
'mosaic'

>     Also, I think Simone's name is spelled wrong, John Sisson is
> listed twice, and I'd like to phrase the page as a committer list
> -- as it
> may be hard to maintain an "everyone who's done something useful"
> list.
> Though if we want that, let's at least designate the committers
> somehow.

both are fixed, I added Jeff, and yes, that's fine - it was just some
phrasing from a vel page.... and now fixed.

Can you live w/ the approach?

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

Alan Cabrera

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote, On 6/6/2005 6:42 PM:

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:51 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
>>     Looks OK to me, but Road Map is empty (which I guess you know),
>> coding standards are missing, and dependencies are woefully  incomplete.
>

> yep, yep and yep.  I was going to summarize our roadmap discussion
> for that but didn't get to it.
>
> I didn't get to the coding standards, and deps clearly needs to be
> finished.  re the deps, I wanted people to review the language about
> 'mosaic'
>

>>     Also, I think Simone's name is spelled wrong, John Sisson is
>> listed twice, and I'd like to phrase the page as a committer list  --
>> as it
>> may be hard to maintain an "everyone who's done something useful"  list.
>> Though if we want that, let's at least designate the committers
>> somehow.
>

> both are fixed, I added Jeff, and yes, that's fine - it was just some
> phrasing from a vel page.... and now fixed.
>
> Can you live w/ the approach?

Looks ok to me.

Is there a way to generate those reports?

Regards,
Alan

Re: proposal for new site

Geir Magnusson Jr

On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote, On 6/6/2005 6:42 PM:
>

>> On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:51 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>>

>>>     Looks OK to me, but Road Map is empty (which I guess you know),
>>> coding standards are missing, and dependencies are woefully
>>> incomplete.
>>>

>> yep, yep and yep.  I was going to summarize our roadmap
>> discussion  for that but didn't get to it.
>>
>> I didn't get to the coding standards, and deps clearly needs to
>> be  finished.  re the deps, I wanted people to review the language
>> about  'mosaic'
>>

>>>     Also, I think Simone's name is spelled wrong, John Sisson is
>>> listed twice, and I'd like to phrase the page as a committer
>>> list  -- as it
>>> may be hard to maintain an "everyone who's done something
>>> useful"  list.
>>> Though if we want that, let's at least designate the committers
>>> somehow.
>>>

>> both are fixed, I added Jeff, and yes, that's fine - it was just
>> some  phrasing from a vel page.... and now fixed.
>>
>> Can you live w/ the approach?
>>

> Looks ok to me.
>
> Is there a way to generate those reports?

what reports?

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote, On 6/6/2005 6:54 PM:

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>

>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote, On 6/6/2005 6:42 PM:

>>> yep, yep and yep.  I was going to summarize our roadmap  discussion
>>> for that but didn't get to it.
>>>
>>> I didn't get to the coding standards, and deps clearly needs to  be
>>> finished.  re the deps, I wanted people to review the language
>>> about  'mosaic'

>>> both are fixed, I added Jeff, and yes, that's fine - it was just
>>> some  phrasing from a vel page.... and now fixed.
>>>
>>> Can you live w/ the approach?
>>>

>> Looks ok to me.
>>
>> Is there a way to generate those reports?
>

> what reports?

The maven reports.  It's not a biggie, I just liked browsing them from
time to time.

Regards,
Alan

Re: proposal for new site

Geir Magnusson Jr.

On Jun 6, 2005, at 10:03 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote, On 6/6/2005 6:54 PM:

>>> Looks ok to me.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to generate those reports?
>>>

>> what reports?
>>

> The maven reports.  It's not a biggie, I just liked browsing them
> from time to time.

Oh right - wasn't sure - they aren't on our website right now.  Maybe
we can autogen and post them to to the site...

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

Brent Worden
I noticed all the page title names are prefaced with "Velocity -".  Is this
a residual effect from using Velocity and can it be controlled?

Brent

"Geir Magnusson Jr." <[hidden email]> wrote
in message news:[hidden email]...

On Jun 6, 2005, at 11:05 PM, Brent Worden wrote:

> I noticed all the page title names are prefaced with "Velocity -".
> Is this
> a residual effect from using Velocity and can it be controlled?

Doh!  Fixed.  Thanks

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

David Blevins
On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:19:08PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> The upside is that it takes <10 seconds to fully generate, so
> adding content is a breeze.

That right there is enough for me.  A definite step in the right direction.

-David

Re: proposal for new site

Geir Magnusson Jr.

On Jun 7, 2005, at 3:49 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:19:08PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> The upside is that it takes <10 seconds to fully generate, so
>> adding content is a breeze.
>>

> That right there is enough for me.  A definite step in the right
> direction.

Lets decide if we want to go forward with this, even as a temporary
measure.  Maybe people will bite and want to contribute to it - at
the worst, we get the site updated quickly and get the ApacheCon EU
ad on it...

geir

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 05:59:26AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2005, at 3:49 AM, David Blevins wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:19:08PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >
> >>The upside is that it takes <10 seconds to fully generate, so
> >>adding content is a breeze.
> >>

> >That right there is enough for me.  A definite step in the right
> >direction.
>
> Lets decide if we want to go forward with this, even as a temporary
> measure.  Maybe people will bite and want to contribute to it - at
> the worst, we get the site updated quickly and get the ApacheCon EU
> ad on it...

+1 From me for the same reasons you state.  We can get fancy as time allows.  Baby steps.

Thanks,
David

Re: proposal for new site

Geir Magnusson Jr.
Ok - I pushed it out.  When the servers synch, it will be there.

We need a more complete list of dependencies - and the intention
isn't our dep list, but rather the "collaboration" list.  We have a
dep on clogging, for example, but I wouldn't consider that a
collaboration.

Also, I'll summarize the roadmap discussion and put that to the dev
list and then to the site...

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

David Blevins
I didn't mean to be the deciding vote, I'd still like to know what others think.  We haven't heard from very many people on this thread.

Hey everyone out there who has ever had an opinion on the website, what do you think?

Again, I'm talking to everyone, not just people privileged with commit access.  Speak up :)

-David

On Jun 7, 2005, at 2:37 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> I didn't mean to be the deciding vote,

You weren't

> I'd still like to know what others think.  We haven't heard from
> very many people on this thread.
>
> Hey everyone out there who has ever had an opinion on the website,
> what do you think?
>
> Again, I'm talking to everyone, not just people privileged with
> commit access.  Speak up :)

It's out there.  Comments and patches appreciated.  If people really
don't like it, we rollback (easy to do) and then replace with the
offered alternative :)

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437

Re: proposal for new site

Bruce Snyder
On 6/7/05, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I didn't mean to be the deciding vote, I'd still like to know what others think.  We haven't heard from very many people on this thread.
>
> Hey everyone out there who has ever had an opinion on the website, what do you think?
>
> Again, I'm talking to everyone, not just people privileged with commit access.  Speak up :)

+1. It's highly important to have current information available to the
community. We can get more sophisticated later.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: proposal for new site

caboteria
> We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
> together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-based
> documents for content.

Looks much better than the old site!  Based on discussion on the -user
list in February I submitted bug 575 which was an attempt to stem the "is
Geronimo alive?" questions that popped up from time to time.  You might
want to take a look at that patch to see if there's any text that you can
use.  You can at least close the bug ;)

Re: proposal for new site

Dain Sundstrom
On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:07 AM, toby cabot wrote:

>> We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
>> together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-based
>> documents for content.
>>

> Looks much better than the old site!  Based on discussion on the -user
> list in February I submitted bug 575 which was an attempt to stem
> the "is
> Geronimo alive?" questions that popped up from time to time.  You
> might
> want to take a look at that patch to see if there's any text that
> you can
> use.  You can at least close the bug ;)

Wow, I can't believe we never applied that one.  I'll apply the
applicable bit later today.

Can you do me a favor and hold our feet to the fire next time we
slack off on a patch?

Thanks a ton,

-dain

Re: proposal for new site

Dain Sundstrom
Looks like Geir is already on this (mail on users list).... Darn
cross posts

-dain

On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:07 AM, toby cabot wrote:
>

>>> We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
>>> together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-
>>> based
>>> documents for content.
>>>

>> Looks much better than the old site!  Based on discussion on the -
>> user
>> list in February I submitted bug 575 which was an attempt to stem
>> the "is
>> Geronimo alive?" questions that popped up from time to time.  You
>> might
>> want to take a look at that patch to see if there's any text that
>> you can
>> use.  You can at least close the bug ;)
>>
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-575
>>

> Wow, I can't believe we never applied that one.  I'll apply the
> applicable bit later today.
>
> Can you do me a favor and hold our feet to the fire next time we
> slack off on a patch?
>
> Thanks a ton,
>
> -dain

Re: proposal for new site

Jason van Zyl
On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 11:37 -0700, David Blevins wrote:
> I didn't mean to be the deciding vote, I'd still like to know what others think.  We haven't heard from very many people on this thread.
>
> Hey everyone out there who has ever had an opinion on the website, what do you think?
>
> Again, I'm talking to everyone, not just people privileged with commit access.  Speak up :)

I'm not volunteering to do you site here but the site stuff in m2 is
fully functional (http://maven.apache.org/maven2) and it uses velocity
for the page layout, but the actual documentation can be written in APT,
xdoc, docbook, and the simple FAQ markup that makes writing FAQs pretty
easy. It's super fast, has been designed for i18n and the documentation
supports macros the first of which is the snippet macro ripped off from
confluence. With that you can reference whole/snippets of code from a
document at an arbitrary URL.

The maven site for m2 is here if you want to see the structure:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/components/trunk/maven-site/

With this you get the speed you want and you can keep all your existing
documentation. It will integrate with m2 which will specifically deal
with aggregation of doco from modules. But right now it's fully
functional, and fast.

Just figured I'd let you know. Using velocity for the layout allows a
lot of flexibility as we expect people will write templates for various
language support. And I'm obviously a fan of Velocity :-)

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare

12