website pointers

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi guys,

anyone able to help to rebrand the website?

I propose to use static generators for the "mainstream" projects and bind them under a subcontext using the project name (dropping geronimo prefix if used, ex: /safeguarad, /xbean, /config).

The root should contain the targets of the projects (umbrella goals) + asf standard stuff.

Now I'm not familiar enough with current site deployment to move alone forward.

So here are the questions:

1. anyone against it?
2. anyone able to help to start binding the new sites when available?

Re: website pointers

Mark Struberg
sounds good to me.
Do we have a blueprint which we can use as a base?

I'd suggest to still have the old site as backup to reference to.
But start adding our new projects to the new site.

On Monday, 19 March 2018, 10:41:15 CET, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys,

anyone able to help to rebrand the website?

I propose to use static generators for the "mainstream" projects and bind them under a subcontext using the project name (dropping geronimo prefix if used, ex: /safeguarad, /xbean, /config).

The root should contain the targets of the projects (umbrella goals) + asf standard stuff.

Now I'm not familiar enough with current site deployment to move alone forward.

So here are the questions:

1. anyone against it?
2. anyone able to help to start binding the new sites when available?

Re: website pointers

Romain Manni-Bucau
ok, seems easier than I thought (not sure why I thought it was still a mix with confluence): https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/geronimo/content/ :)

let's hack it now. What about picking a free bootstrap theme we can decline with colors (likely one for MP, one for "common container libs" - xbean for instance, one for direct EE (txmgr etc), ...)?
Then we probably just do a small jbake wrapper - something like http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openwebbeans/meecrowave/trunk/meecrowave-doc/src/main/java/org/apache/meecrowave/doc/JBake.java - auto including our theme and switching the color from a maven plugin config to ensure we are ~uniform.

wdyt? Any theme proposal?

[...]

Here are 2 theme proposals - don't hesitate to do others, I just picked 2 I like with a MIT license so we can use it:

1. https://www.creative-tim.com/product/now-ui-dashboard : the menu is on the left but I guess it can work for most of our subprojects
2. https://www.creative-tim.com/product/now-ui-kit : more classical but maybe too much "UI" aspects not fitting well tech products

I'm happy to start PoC-ing a maven plugin for our integration with the customization being options of the plugin (colors, title etc) once we agree on a theme

[...]

I like the first a bit better.

> Am 06.04.2018 um 15:49 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> up?
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

> Here are 2 theme proposals - don't hesitate to do others, I just picked 2 I like with a MIT license so we can use it:
>
> 1. https://www.creative-tim.com/product/now-ui-dashboard : the menu is on the left but I guess it can work for most of our subprojects
> 2. https://www.creative-tim.com/product/now-ui-kit : more classical but maybe too much "UI" aspects not fitting well tech products
>
> I'm happy to start PoC-ing a maven plugin for our integration with the customization being options of the plugin (colors, title etc) once we agree on a theme
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

> ok, seems easier than I thought (not sure why I thought it was still a mix with confluence): https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/geronimo/content/ :)
>
> let's hack it now. What about picking a free bootstrap theme we can decline with colors (likely one for MP, one for "common container libs" - xbean for instance, one for direct EE (txmgr etc), ...)?
> Then we probably just do a small jbake wrapper - something like http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openwebbeans/meecrowave/trunk/meecrowave-doc/src/main/java/org/apache/meecrowave/doc/JBake.java - auto including our theme and switching the color from a maven plugin config to ensure we are ~uniform.
>
> wdyt? Any theme proposal?
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

> Yes John, this thread is about having technical inputs to do it.
>
> Le 19 mars 2018 18:51, "John D. Ament" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> We already talked about this last summer https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f28d62c18e9274e9aa6dd455630b9ea9b962dac5d59eef876e07c237@%3Cdev.geronimo.apache.org%3E
>
> John
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 5:41 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> anyone able to help to rebrand the website?
>
> I propose to use static generators for the "mainstream" projects and bind them under a subcontext using the project name (dropping geronimo prefix if used, ex: /safeguarad, /xbean, /config).
>
> The root should contain the targets of the projects (umbrella goals) + asf standard stuff.
>
> Now I'm not familiar enough with current site deployment to move alone forward.
>

> So here are the questions:
>
> 1. anyone against it?
> 2. anyone able to help to start binding the new sites when available?
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

Re: website pointers

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi guys,

planning to spend some time on this topic tomorrow,

last year we spoke of jbake but in between Antora ([1]) went out.

Assuming I hide the node part behind a maven plugin (like frontend maven plugin which downloads node+deps transparently with correct caching etc...), any objection to use antora instead of jbake?

The rational is:

1. out of the box support of versioning (on the website but in our sources as well based on tags or branches if we want to override something wrong in a tag)
2. asciidoctor rendering is fast (in order ruby is faster than js which is faster than java...really significatively)

I'm using it to generate my work doc (https://talend.github.io/component-runtime/) and I'm quite happy of it. We can even probably keep the default theme with just some colors/logo customizations.

Wdyt? Does it sound like a good plan or an enthusiasm excess? Should I fall back on a jbake based solution and we bake the versioning in a custom fashion?

I like the first a bit better.

> Am 06.04.2018 um 15:49 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> up?
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

> Here are 2 theme proposals - don't hesitate to do others, I just picked 2 I like with a MIT license so we can use it:
>
> 1. https://www.creative-tim.com/product/now-ui-dashboard : the menu is on the left but I guess it can work for most of our subprojects
> 2. https://www.creative-tim.com/product/now-ui-kit : more classical but maybe too much "UI" aspects not fitting well tech products
>
> I'm happy to start PoC-ing a maven plugin for our integration with the customization being options of the plugin (colors, title etc) once we agree on a theme
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

> ok, seems easier than I thought (not sure why I thought it was still a mix with confluence): https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/geronimo/content/ :)
>
> let's hack it now. What about picking a free bootstrap theme we can decline with colors (likely one for MP, one for "common container libs" - xbean for instance, one for direct EE (txmgr etc), ...)?
> Then we probably just do a small jbake wrapper - something like http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openwebbeans/meecrowave/trunk/meecrowave-doc/src/main/java/org/apache/meecrowave/doc/JBake.java - auto including our theme and switching the color from a maven plugin config to ensure we are ~uniform.
>
> wdyt? Any theme proposal?
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

> Yes John, this thread is about having technical inputs to do it.
>
> Le 19 mars 2018 18:51, "John D. Ament" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> We already talked about this last summer https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f28d62c18e9274e9aa6dd455630b9ea9b962dac5d59eef876e07c237@%3Cdev.geronimo.apache.org%3E
>
> John
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 5:41 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> anyone able to help to rebrand the website?
>
> I propose to use static generators for the "mainstream" projects and bind them under a subcontext using the project name (dropping geronimo prefix if used, ex: /safeguarad, /xbean, /config).
>
> The root should contain the targets of the projects (umbrella goals) + asf standard stuff.
>
> Now I'm not familiar enough with current site deployment to move alone forward.
>

> So here are the questions:
>
> 1. anyone against it?
> 2. anyone able to help to start binding the new sites when available?
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Book

Re: website pointers

Mark Struberg
I heared good things about antora. So let's try it out ;)

> [...]
> > We already talked about this last summer https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f28d62c18e9274e9aa6dd455630b9ea9b962dac5d59eef876e07c237@%3Cdev.geronimo.apache.org%3E
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 5:41 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > anyone able to help to rebrand the website?
> >
> > I propose to use static generators for the "mainstream" projects and bind them under a subcontext using the project name (dropping geronimo prefix if used, ex: /safeguarad, /xbean, /config).
> >
> > The root should contain the targets of the projects (umbrella goals) + asf standard stuff.
> >
> > Now I'm not familiar enough with current site deployment to move alone forward.
> >

> > So here are the questions:
> >
> > 1. anyone against it?
> > 2. anyone able to help to start binding the new sites when available?

the project demo is available at https://github.com/rmannibucau/geronimo-site-tester

For now it uses a very simple setup but it should be a good start to let us play a bit.

Side question: should I import it @G? Do I request a new git repo (geronimo-antora-maven-plugin)?

> [...]

> > We already talked about this last summer https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f28d62c18e9274e9aa6dd455630b9ea9b962dac5d59eef876e07c237@%3Cdev.geronimo.apache.org%3E
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 5:41 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > anyone able to help to rebrand the website?
> >
> > I propose to use static generators for the "mainstream" projects and bind them under a subcontext using the project name (dropping geronimo prefix if used, ex: /safeguarad, /xbean, /config).
> >
> > The root should contain the targets of the projects (umbrella goals) + asf standard stuff.
> >
> > Now I'm not familiar enough with current site deployment to move alone forward.
> >

> > So here are the questions:
> >
> > 1. anyone against it?
> > 2. anyone able to help to start binding the new sites when available?

We need to run a custom maven plugin to run antora for the website?  What about the work that was already done to write the website in asciidoc?

John

Le 9 avr. 2018 02:37, "John D. Ament" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
We need to run a custom maven plugin to run antora for the website?

You can use yarn directly jut it requires a setup java dev dont have + we need to write a plugin to extend it on npm if we do it this way. Thought mvn was more common for us.

What about the work that was already done to write the website in asciidoc?

Should be straight to migrate. Which one are you talking about in particular?

> [...]

> > We already talked about this last summer https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f28d62c18e9274e9aa6dd455630b9ea9b962dac5d59eef876e07c237@%3Cdev.geronimo.apache.org%3E
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 5:41 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > anyone able to help to rebrand the website?
> >
> > I propose to use static generators for the "mainstream" projects and bind them under a subcontext using the project name (dropping geronimo prefix if used, ex: /safeguarad, /xbean, /config).
> >
> > The root should contain the targets of the projects (umbrella goals) + asf standard stuff.
> >
> > Now I'm not familiar enough with current site deployment to move alone forward.
> >

> > So here are the questions:
> >
> > 1. anyone against it?
> > 2. anyone able to help to start binding the new sites when available?

John, can you clarify what you had in mind?

Single "site" repo aggregating all other repo thanks to antora with a native yarn/npm build?

Works too for me, just needs to create the new repo

> [...]

> > We already talked about this last summer https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f28d62c18e9274e9aa6dd455630b9ea9b962dac5d59eef876e07c237@%3Cdev.geronimo.apache.org%3E
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 5:41 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > anyone able to help to rebrand the website?
> >
> > I propose to use static generators for the "mainstream" projects and bind them under a subcontext using the project name (dropping geronimo prefix if used, ex: /safeguarad, /xbean, /config).
> >
> > The root should contain the targets of the projects (umbrella goals) + asf standard stuff.
> >
> > Now I'm not familiar enough with current site deployment to move alone forward.
> >

> > So here are the questions:
> >
> > 1. anyone against it?
> > 2. anyone able to help to start binding the new sites when available?

Ok, now we have most of impl we must really have at least a landing page. Short term I think i'll try to setup some jbake based site (we all know this one) and having some review of the content, i'm not sure being versionned is that important.

Anyone with the knowledge to add a /microprofile link from the hope (if possible quite visible)?