what to do

Yoseph Widjaya
Hi geronimoer

I want to contribute to geronimo project i have d/l
all the source code

Is anyone can tell me what to do after i make changes
because i haven't got svn account yet

also what can i do to help since there is no much help
on what's happening in the project

many thanks

yosep

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: what to do

jgenender
Hi Yosep,

Welcome and we look forward to your help.

JIRA is a good start for a list of things that need fixing/enhancing:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10220

also, the wiki is a great place ot learn about how to contribute and
submit patches:

http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/GettingSourceCode

Jeff

--
Jeff Genender
http://geronimo.apache.org

Re: what to do

Jeremy Boynes
Yoseph Widjaya wrote:
> Hi geronimoer
>
> I want to contribute to geronimo project i have d/l
> all the source code
>
> Is anyone can tell me what to do after i make changes
> because i haven't got svn account yet

Use svn diff to generate a patch and send it to this list or attach to a
JIRA issue.

> also what can i do to help since there is no much help
> on what's happening in the project

We're working on the roadmap for future releases right now. Suggestions,
comments and priorities for things you would like to see would be really
helpful. Discussion is on this list and will be summarized on the website.

Jeremy

Re: what to do

Dain Sundstrom
What do you want to work on?  We really only have the specification
required J2EE features right now.  Is there one of the spec area you
are interested in working on, or an area outside of the spec that
interests you?

-dain

On Jun 14, 2005, at 8:26 PM, Yoseph Widjaya wrote:

> Hi geronimoer
>
> I want to contribute to geronimo project i have d/l
> all the source code
>
> Is anyone can tell me what to do after i make changes
> because i haven't got svn account yet
>
> also what can i do to help since there is no much help
> on what's happening in the project
>

> many thanks
>
> yosep

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: what to do

Yoseph Widjaya
Hi again

I would like to build the core of geronimo actually.
Don't interested in any plugins or any external part
basically. But I really interested in building EJB
server, JSP/servlet, JMS, or probably JMX basically
core J2EE container

any idea where i could start

many thanks

Yosep

--- Dain Sundstrom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What do you want to work on?  We really only have
> the specification
> required J2EE features right now.  Is there one of
> the spec area you
> are interested in working on, or an area outside of
> the spec that
> interests you?
>
> -dain
>
> On Jun 14, 2005, at 8:26 PM, Yoseph Widjaya wrote:
>
> > Hi geronimoer
> >
> > I want to contribute to geronimo project i have
> d/l
> > all the source code
> >
> > Is anyone can tell me what to do after i make
> changes
> > because i haven't got svn account yet
> >
> > also what can i do to help since there is no much
> help
> > on what's happening in the project
> >

> > many thanks
> >
> > yosep

> > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: what to do

Yoseph Widjaya
Hi jeff

already d/l all the source code and start play with
the geronimo just want to know what kind of thing that
i could help

many thanks

Yosep

--- Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Yosep,
>
> Welcome and we look forward to your help.
>
> JIRA is a good start for a list of things that need
> fixing/enhancing:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10220

> also, the wiki is a great place ot learn about how
> to contribute and
> submit patches:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/GettingSourceCode
>
> Jeff
>
> Yoseph Widjaya wrote:
> > Hi geronimoer
> >
> > I want to contribute to geronimo project i have
> d/l
> > all the source code
> >
> > Is anyone can tell me what to do after i make
> changes
> > because i haven't got svn account yet
> >
> > also what can i do to help since there is no much
> help
> > on what's happening in the project
> >

> > many thanks
> >
> > yosep

> > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com
>
> --
> Jeff Genender
> http://geronimo.apache.org

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: what to do

Yoseph Widjaya
Hi Dain

Yes I would like to contribute inside the spec
OpenEJB, JSP/Servlet,  probably web service as well

could u tell me where i could find the spec

many thanks

Yosep

--- Dain Sundstrom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What do you want to work on?  We really only have
> the specification
> required J2EE features right now.  Is there one of
> the spec area you
> are interested in working on, or an area outside of
> the spec that
> interests you?
>
> -dain
>
> On Jun 14, 2005, at 8:26 PM, Yoseph Widjaya wrote:
>
> > Hi geronimoer
> >
> > I want to contribute to geronimo project i have
> d/l
> > all the source code
> >
> > Is anyone can tell me what to do after i make
> changes
> > because i haven't got svn account yet
> >
> > also what can i do to help since there is no much
> help
> > on what's happening in the project
> >

> > many thanks
> >
> > yosep

> > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: what to do

Dain Sundstrom

On Jun 15, 2005, at 8:25 PM, Yoseph Widjaya wrote:

> Yes I would like to contribute inside the spec
> OpenEJB, JSP/Servlet,  probably web service as well

One thing to keep in mind is that Geronimo is an assembly of many
open source projects inside and outside apache.  All of the projects
are made up of nice people that would welcome you help.  Here are
links to projects based on the areas you mention:

EJB server:  http://www.openejb.org
JMS: http://www.activemq.org
JMX: http://www.mx4j.org

JSP/servlet - we integrate two JSP/servlet solutions, Jetty and
Tomcat.  The integration code is in Geronimo and but bulk of the web
server code is in either of the projects.
     Jetty:  http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/
     Tomcat: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/

Core J2EE container - I guess that would mainly be security,
transaction manager, connector architecture, and maybe the geronimo
component architecture.  All of those are stuff handled in the
Geronimo code base itself.

I suggest you narrow your focus a bit.  The areas you listed
represent about 80% of the libraries included in geronimo, so it is
bit difficult to connect you with someone.  If there is one specific
area you are interest in, I suggest you contact that group on their
mailing list or if it is a Geronimo code base, tell us which one.

Now for how to get involved... I normally suggest that someone new to
the project, simply start by attempting to get an existing
application running on the server.  This will help you get a grasp
how Geronimo is structured and will help you quickly find out what is
broken :)  Once you find something that is broken, post a bug report,
ask about the bug on the dev list, and start working on a fix.  Once
you have fixed a couple of bugs, I'm sure you'll know exactly where
you want to be involved :)

For example, Jeff is actively looking for people to try to get
applications to run on our embedded Tomcat server.  I'm sure you will
find stuff there to help with.

-dain

Re: what to do

Yoseph Widjaya
Hi Dain

Many thanks For you guide

Yes. I probably starting deploying the normal
JSP/servlet well that the easiest one I presume :)
so yes, I'll build a sample application based on the
JSP/servlet and break them hopefully will be able to
help the development

PS: hopefully usefull to geronimo --> me :)

many thanks for the reply

http://mail.yahoo.com